What's better-spoof or original???

HPDJ

Reaction score
What do you prefer the muppets doing. Spoofing classics or doing their own thing. I prefer the first 3 (or the original trilogy as I call them). What about you.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
HPDJ said:
What do you prefer the muppets doing. Spoofing classics or doing their own thing. I prefer the first 3 (or the original trilogy as I call them). What about you.
MCC, MTI and MWoO are not the first times the Muppets have done spoofs. The Brooke Shields episode of TMS was a spoof/send-up of Alice in Wonderland, for example.

Besides, it's not in the nature of the Muppets to take anything too seriously. Remember the thread you started about what musicals we'd like to see the Muppets do? Think of the mayhem that could erupt in any of those productions! Travelling Matt and I have tossed around ideas for a Muppet production of Fiddler on the Roof for some time now and come up with such jems as Red playing the part of Frumah Sarah while sitting on top of Sweetums, falling off of him and the whole dream-sequence scene turning into a Veterinarian's Hospital bit.

-Kim

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I like the stuff where they are themselves, obviously. But, the Muppets are performers and it would be that they would, from time to time, play characters other than just themselves in a movie.

The Muppet Movie is my favorite of all time.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I have yet to see a Muppet movie where they are playing themselves that beats the MTI classical retelling (not exactly a spoof....:stick_out_tongue:)

Certainy MFS, and KSY the more recent Muppet's playing themselves have lacked that certain somthing (That certain something is called Jerry Juhl, but tha tis another story....)

Can't wait for Oz!

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
To quote Popeye: "I am what I am and that's all that I am"

The Muppets are the Muppets even if they are playing someone else, if that makes any sense. I thoroughly enjoy the original "trilogy" more than their more recent productions, but I have nothing against MCC or MTI. In fact, I love Muppet Treasure Island because it gave Sam Eagle the opportunity to be a major player in a Muppets film; something he had never had in the past.

Quite frankly, I don't care who the Muppets portray in a production as long as Muppet productions get made.

Frogster

Reaction score
I loved The Muppet Christmas Carol, but that's about it. I love it when the Muppets as Muppets have their own plot.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Docnzhoss said:
To quote Popeye: "I am what I am and that's all that I am"

The Muppets are the Muppets even if they are playing someone else, if that makes any sense. I thoroughly enjoy the original "trilogy" more than their more recent productions, but I have nothing against MCC or MTI. In fact, I love Muppet Treasure Island because it gave Sam Eagle the opportunity to be a major player in a Muppets film; something he had never had in the past.

Quite frankly, I don't care who the Muppets portray in a production as long as Muppet productions get made.
I couldn't agree more. I think what you said makes perfect sense. Even when the Muppets play other characters, their own personality still shines through. Even when Kermit was playing Bob Cratchitt, he was still Kermit. Same goes for Piggy when she was playing Emily Cratchitt.

With that said, I do prefer the productions where the Muppets play themselves. The "original trilogy" would definitely fall under my favorite Muppet movies. But that may have more to do with the fact they were all under Jim's supervision.

dpurves

Reaction score
I definitely prefer it when the Muppets play themselves. There would seem to be so many more stories that could be told about the Muppets just being Muppets. To me the original trilogy included the best movies, and they're the only ones I'm willing to watch over and over. It's not necessarily that I disliked movies like MCC and MTI, it's just that to me these weren't really Muppet movies, but were really just movies including the Muppets. That being said, I hated MFS, in which the Muppets did play themselves. To me the Muppets just lost something intangible after those original three movies, and I don't know that they can ever get it back.

To me there was just never another TMM. Even the other two movies in that "trilogy" fell short of that amazing first film. So definitely, just let them be themselves, at least once in a while.