What If?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is probably the last discussion that's been touched for this particular board...

But anyway, we know that Jim actually wanted to keep certain performers separate from other projects, examples: initially Dave and Steve were used exclusively for JHP projects like TMS and the subsequent movies or Caroll and Marty having minimal Muppet credits outside SST.

Now, aside from those examples, they DID have rare occasions where they ventured outside of their respective projects, like Steve became a performer on SST because of Jim's death, and Dave DID do Elephant Elevator Operator and Humongous Chicken; and Marty did play the Farmer in Bunny Picnic... but suppose Jim didn't keep certain performers separate from other projects, what kind of other characters do you think, say Dave could've brought to life alongside Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Ernie and Bert? Could Caroll have had a character amongst the ranks of Kermit, Fozzie, and Piggy? What if Fran was more involved with TMS aside from "Sex and Violence"? And who could've also gotten more involved with FR?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've killed a thread again.

My former boss lady would be so proud.

Yorick

Reaction score
With all the talent on the Muppet team, I have no doubt that any of the different scenarios you mention would work out great! Having said that, we wouldn't have exactly what we have now, but then, we wouldn't know what we'd be missing...and we'd have gotten some other nifty stuff. That's just speaks about the greatness of the team Jim Henson put together...so many great people with such wonderful talent.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember watching a lengthily interview with Caroll talking about how Jim spoke of his dream of doing TMS even before SST went on the air; at the same time, I remember Caroll also mentioning having certain doubts about being able to be a decent performer on TMS, especially as far as full body production numbers were concerned (I guess he's talking about like The Mutations and such), since he couldn't dance. I think at the same time, due to the regular commute to England to do TMS, would've hurt SST in a sense, because Caroll wouldn't have been available to do Big Bird or Oscar (and many have mentioned the evident phasing out of Ernie and Bert to strictly inserts by then).

And David was more involved outside SST as well at first, with Bunny Picnic, MCC, and MTI... I wonder why he hasn't been more involved since then, it seems like outside SST is some of his better, and more versatile work, whereas on SST, almost all of his characters are somewhat Baby Bear-esque (save for Cookie Monster, obviously).