Walt Disney Television Programming: "Hello Ladies"

Steve Arino

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

For my next series of Posts, I'd like to present General Discussions on every Walt Disney Television Program ever made in Disney History--including as part of that Past and Present Disney-owned Companies such as Jim Henson Productions (owned by Disney from 1991-1996), Miramax Television (owned by Disney from 1993-2010), ABC Studios (formerly Walt Disney Television from 1985-2007), DIC Entertainment (owned by Disney from 1995-2000), LucasFilm Television (owned by Disney since 2012), and 20th Century Fox Television (owned by Disney since March 20, 2019) among MANY other Disney properties.

For my first Disney Program topic, I'd like to share with you information on the joint HBO/Disney sitcom "Hello Ladies," which originally aired on the HBO Television Network from September 29, 2013 - November 17, 2013 for 8 shows.

Created by Steve Merchant (protege of Ricky Gervais), "Hello Ladies" was based on Steve's successful Stand-up Comedy routine about his search for a Wife ("Not a Groupie," as Steve joked in the 2011 Stand-up special); soon after the Stand-up Special "Hello Ladies Live!" was telecast in the UK, American writers Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg were hired by The Walt Disney Company to write a Pilot script for a TV show version of "Hello Ladies."

For the series, Steve Merchant was re-named Stuart Pritchard, a British expat living in Los Angeles, California where he worked as a Web Designer by day and spent his nights trying to find his perfect mate; joining Steve were, respectively, Christine Woods (fresh from 2009's short-lived Disney-ABC show "FlashForward," adapted from a fiction book by Rob Sawyer of Canada) as Jessica Vanderhoff, a struggling actress going on audition after audition; Nate Torrence (futurely of Disney's cartoon 2016 film "Zootopia") as Wade Bailey, Stuart's best friend on the brink of Divorce from his estranged wife (Crista Flanagan), with whom he had a young school-aged daughter, Cassie (Reese Cadell, now a YouTuber who also is a regular on Nickelodeon's new "All That" 2019 revival); and Kevin Weisman (fresh from Jar Jar Abrams' hit Disney spy thriller "Alias"," airing on Disney-owned ABC from 2001-2006) as Kives, a Paralyzed man who had MUCH better luck with the ladies than Stuart ever did.

Although HBO cancelled the series in January 2014, a 2-hour movie finale, "Hello Ladies: The Movie," aired on HBO on November 22, 2014; in the 2-hour Finale, Wade decided to allow his estranged wife to Divorce him; Stuart reunited with an ex-flame of his from England; and in the movie finale's end, Stuart FINALLY got the girl--his formerly platonic roommate Jessica.

Frankly, I LOVED "Hello Ladies" and was sad to see it cancelled by HBO after just a single full season when OTHER HBO network shows last 2 or more seasons e.g. "Eastbound & Down" (created for HBO by Will Ferrell and starring Will's good buddy Danny McBride); coincidentally, HBO telecast new "Hello Ladies" episodes on Sunday nights at 10 P.M. after "Eastbound & Down" on HBO.

"Hello Ladies" was produced by Four Eyes Entertainment and Quantity Entertainment in association with ABC Studios and Distributed for Syndication by Disney-ABC Domestic Television Distribution (Buena Vista Television).