Voice Changes

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I just wanna point out something: As Joey got older, Murray's voice became less high-pitched. TBH, that's good. Cause, when I would show my mom early stuff with Murray, she thought he was a girl. Now it's pretty clear that he's a boy.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Janice went from being a valley girl from TMS Season 2 to GMC, then starting with MTM, I felt her voice started to get deeper, and more out of character to the point where her character was really not much a valleyy girl, David Rudman has been doing good though with the puppetry.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I've actually noticed that Big Bird's voice has changed a lot over the years as Caroll Spinney has aged, his voice is deeper now.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I think that Matt Vogels Floyd has changed over the years

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, Gonzo is definitely the biggest example there. As one of the few Muppets who's had the same performer from Day One, (Save for TGSCS which doesn't really count because that was sort of a proto-Gonzo there.) it's been pretty evident that Dave has really developed the voice over time. Just look at the Gonzo voice comparison section on You Tube.

I've actually noticed that Big Bird's voice has changed a lot over the years as Caroll Spinney has aged, his voice is deeper now.
Yeah. I've seen some of the 90s episodes with Big Bird on You Tube and even then the voice was deeper than it was in the 70s and the 80s.

Janice went from being a valley girl from TMS Season 2 to GMC, then starting with MTM, I felt her voice started to get deeper, and more out of character to the point where her character was really not much a valleyy girl,
I'm not sure I agree with that. I thought Richard's valley girl Janice has been pretty consistent. (Save for the Don Knotts episode before Richard had the voice established.) But oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I loved raspy voiced Elmo. Seems like that was lost right after the "Tickle Me Elmo" doll was released. It really sounded like Elmo was a "monster child". Nowadays it sounds like "a child that just so happens to be a monster".
I was wondering about that since I knew Kevin's Elmo voice has changed over time, but I was never sure exactly what point his voice changed. I notice even in the early 90s, Kevin seemed to use the raspier Elmo type voice, so you may have hit the nail on the head by mentioning the time TME was released. I guess Kevin was going for a cuter monster sound that would work for the voicing the toy versions of Elmo.

Last edited:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Eric Jacobson's Fozzie has really changed, in VMX I thought it sounded closer to the original Frank Oz voice, but recently like around the new muppet show, it's changed and become it's own thing, it's also higher than before.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's been more and more obvious in recent years . . . in fact, it's almost painfully obvious when you listen to the redubbed line of "Well, Radar, the hurricane's all over. Now we can go back to my nest," for that Friends to the Rescue DVD. I think Oscar has gotten better with age, though - a deeper voice works better for his type of character anyway.

David's Cookie Monster sounds closer to Frank's now than it did before.