Video: Sesame Street Puppeteers Talk About Puppets

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Matt Vogel, Ryan Dillon, Frankie Cordero, Leslie Carrara-Rudolph, and Marty Robinson talk about how their jobs and the puppets work:

Great stuff! I'm really glad I finally know how Snuffy's snuffle moves. Also, there's some great behind the scenes pictures and footage.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Holy crap . . . if I didn't know better, I'd think Ryan and I were twins separated at birth. :eek:

But I hadn't heard about little magnets inside the hands being used as a technique to have Muppets grab/hold things, but that's really interesting - I'm guessing those would have to be really strong magnets to be able to attract through fabric and such.

gravy

Reaction score
Hm. Kevin was briefly mentioned. Cool.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Funny that it's already gotten a bunch of comments complaining that the magic is "ruined". Well, duh, that's gonna happen when you see behind-the-scenes footage.

But I hadn't heard about little magnets inside the hands being used as a technique to have Muppets grab/hold things, but that's really interesting - I'm guessing those would have to be really strong magnets to be able to attract through fabric and such.
I had wondered about that before, and it seems like they've done that for quite a while. When I saw one of the episodes with Betty Lou's dolly posted on YT a while ago, I wondered if the doll or doll head was attached via magnets, or if was just pinning.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've heard certain things such as, depending on the size/shape/weight of the prop, that usually the bending the fingers (which have wire in them) into a grip around the prop is enough of a grasp to hold it into place, and if not, a little double-face tape is added as extra ensurance.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I wanna know who the red-haired woman is who was filling in for Leslie in one of the behind the scenes pictures.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It could just be Leslie in a wig; she's prone to doing quirky things.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When I was a kid in school, I used to clip my pens to the templepiece of my glasses, and nobody really thought anything of it (because they already thought I was a weirdo anyway).

A few weeks ago, I happened to have a pen in a grocery store and did the same thing for the first time since I was a kid. Needless to say, I was getting quite a number of strange looks and double-takes from other shoppers and employees.