Ultimate Disney.com Four Muppet Movies Review

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
hey gang,

From Ultimate Disney.com...

**Today's new DVD review presents our first look at the Kermit's 50th Anniversary Edition re-releases Disney is giving four Muppet films this week. Our first subject is the gang's debut big screen outing: The Muppet Movie. Did the Muppets' jump from the small screen to theaters pose problems for them? Is Disney's new DVD worth an upgrade for those who have Sony's discontinued DVD of the film? Read our detailed review for answers these questions and many more.** link: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/themuppetmovie-50th.html

Its a nice review if ya ask me! I plan on getting all 4 Muppet Movies on dvd tommarow! :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This reviewer thinks that The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper were previously owned by Sony. While Sony did release the last DVD releases, Sony never actually owned the rights to these films. They were originally owned by ITC, which also originally owned the rights to The Muppet Show, and then in the early 1980s Jim Henson bought the rights to these films, and now Disney owns the rights. The only movies that Sony has the distribution rights to are The Muppets Take Manhattan, Muppets From Space, and Kermit's Swamp Years.

I'm sure that Disney would own the rights to the original screen test. If it was fully owned by The Jim Henson Company then Disney most likely got the rights to it. If it was owned by ITC or any other company then Columbia would have had to pay extra to include it in the first DVD release. I don't think that Columbia would have gotten to keep the rights to the screen test but not the actual movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
nitpicks

I hav a few interesting observations about these reviews.

The reviewer for The Mupept Christmas carol says that jim Henson was going to sell The Muppets Holding Company to Disney in 1990. It was never called The Muppet Holding Company untill after Disney bought the muppets.

Each review mentions what trailers are included. It points out that the original releases of MCC and MTI had no trailers but then mentions trailers that are "joyfully included" on these releases. Does the reviewer actually like trailers on DVDs?

It is said that neither DVD release of The Muppet Christmas Carol ahd the original trailer, but it has been included on videos released in 1993 and 1994, mainly on a lot of Muppet videos released back then, but also on the original video release of Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey. So all it would take to see the trailer would be to buy some videos from around the time the movie was originally released on video (some videos to include this as a preview are all five Fraggle Rock videos, and The Muppet Show: Monster Laughs With Vincent Price).

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I hav a few interesting observations about these reviews.

The reviewer for The Mupept Christmas carol says that jim Henson was going to sell The Muppets Holding Company to Disney in 1990. It was never called The Muppet Holding Company untill after Disney bought the muppets.

Each review mentions what trailers are included. It points out that the original releases of MCC and MTI had no trailers but then mentions trailers that are "joyfully included" on these releases. Does the reviewer actually like trailers on DVDs?

It is said that neither DVD release of The Muppet Christmas Carol ahd the original trailer, but it has been included on videos released in 1993 and 1994, mainly on a lot of Muppet videos released back then, but also on the original video release of Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey. So all it would take to see the trailer would be to buy some videos from around the time the movie was originally released on video (some videos to include this as a preview are all five Fraggle Rock videos, and The Muppet Show: Monster Laughs With Vincent Price).

Yeah that bugs me too! I posted about that over at UD.com's website. I dont know why people KEEP saying "Disney bought the Muppets Holding Co." and "Oh Sony Owned The Muppet Movie and Great Muppet Caper before Disney get em" ...its like geez man! :grouchy: lol :zany:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Thoese promos found on the 1993-94 videos are the video release promo, which is diffrent from the original theatrical trailer. Also it is very very common for DVDs to include the original theatrical trailer (along with other promos) for the film on the DVD. I enjoying having the original trailer on the DVD. I wish it was here. And I don't want to have to buy an old and unrelated VHS to get it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Thoese promos found on the 1993-94 videos are the video release promo, which is diffrent from the original theatrical trailer. Also it is very very common for DVDs to include the original theatrical trailer (along with other promos) for the film on the DVD. I enjoying having the original trailer on the DVD. I wish it was here. And I don't want to have to buy an old and unrelated VHS to get it.
I know that the promo on the videos was promoting the video release, but I thought it was mostly the same, maybe with some dialog changed to say that it's coming soon to video instead of theatres (for some reason I can't remember off-hand if the preview mentioned anyhting about coming to video or theatres). I remember seeing the last half of the trailer in theatres (it was already playing when I entered the theatre to see a movie), and I thought it seemed similart to the preview on the videos (I distinctly remember both previews ending with Miss Piggy saying "whatever" to Belinda and Betina).

Maybe I'm wrong, and it's possible that both previews had most of the same clips.