Thoughts on Nina

cjd874

Reaction score
This just makes me realize how watered-down the show seems to be now. I've seen clips of Alan in his first appearances compared to his newer ones, and the difference is really dramatic. The current adults aren't the straight-man, neighborly people like Bob, Maria, and Luis used to be (perhaps the same could be said for the 1990s-2000s cast members like Gina and Leela too)...they're much more overly energetic and cheery almost to the point of feeling (dare I say it) phony. If Nina's character is being portrayed this way, it's unlikely that her perkiness is going to be scaled back. Of course, Sesame Street isn't the only show that went down this path...

Cookie3001

Reaction score
don't have a problem with the character but if you want my honest opinion...
her acting is cheesy as he:eek:l
there I said it

DatH

Reaction score
PBS Kids has overall run down this path Cj, either long running or new shows now

BEAR 2

Reaction score
I don’t have much of an opinion yet, but it’s interesting you mention the difference in the human cast now as opposed to the previous neighbors that have lived on the street. After having (finally) watched the 50th anniversary special, you can really see it. All of the cameo moments from Bob, Susan, Maria, Luis and Gina were so real and down-to-earth genuine just as you’d expect. Actually, Emilio and Sonia’s acting on the show was better in that one short scene than in the final few years as regulars. But they were from a time when all they were asked to do was be themselves. Maybe the direction has changed lately. I haven’t seen a lot of stuff with Chris lately but I remember when he first came on, he was the crazy, quirky, big brother type but still real and very genuine (similar to Northern Calloway’s David). Maybe I need to watch more of the current seasons to see what you mean about Nina. Maybe the problem is more that she just isn’t interesting. You all bring up a good point though, that the stories don’t focus on the adults anymore, ever. Not even in the inserts separate from the street story.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I don’t have much of an opinion yet, but it’s interesting you mention the difference in the human cast now as opposed to the previous neighbors that have lived on the street. After having (finally) watched the 50th anniversary special, you can really see it. All of the cameo moments from Bob, Susan, Maria, Luis and Gina were so real and down-to-earth genuine just as you’d expect. Actually, Emilio and Sonia’s acting on the show was better in that one short scene than in the final few years as regulars. But they were from a time when all they were asked to do was be themselves. Maybe the direction has changed lately. I haven’t seen a lot of stuff with Chris lately but I remember when he first came on, he was the crazy, quirky, big brother type but still real and very genuine (similar to Northern Calloway’s David). Maybe I need to watch more of the current seasons to see what you mean about Nina. Maybe the problem is more that she just isn’t interesting. You all bring up a good point though, that the stories don’t focus on the adults anymore, ever. Not even in the inserts separate from the street story.
^^^^
Something I mentioned on the Discord a while back, I think part of the reason that special felt so, well, special is because the adults had meaningful interactions with the Muppets, even if their scenes were brief. I loved the little moment we got with Alan, Gina, and Julia. It was such a quiet, nice moment, and it fit for all three of the characters.