Thog's most recent appearance

superboober

Reaction score
When was the last time to date that the big blue guy appeared, and would there be any chance of him returning in the forseeable future?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
As far as I know, and I could be wrong, his last appearance was in the lorretta switt episode of The Muppet Show, from 1980. I have read that the Thog puppet/ suit wore out and deteriorated so badly that it was thrown away. I'm not sure when he wore out, but I have a feeling that it might have been in the early 1980s, since he wasn't in The Muppets: A Celebration of Thirty Years, which was made in 1985. Since he was a full body character, probably really expensive to build, and such a rarely-used character, it's not likely that he will be rebuilt anytime soon, but as Ken Lilly from palisades often said about the many questions asked about the Muppets action figure line, "anything is possible".

I hope that Disney does eventually see a need to rebuild him dispite his obscurity. Maybe if Disney decides to make an animated (or computer animated) Muppet production they can include him (it should be easier to animate characters than to build them).

Timotheus

Reaction score
After seeing Season one, I've grown to love Thog. It's sad to hear that he was in all probability scrapped. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a CGI version...I love the full body muppets.

flyingpenguin

Reaction score
Thog is dead???
Sob
He was so beautiful... I love when he danced with Kay Ballard!!!!

giovannii

Reaction score
flyingpenguin said:
Thog is dead???
Sob
He was so beautiful... I love when he danced with Kay Ballard!!!!
Oh no. Thog is prolly my equal fave Muppet with Scooter.

It's a shame he wasnt used more often. He's really the only big monster missing from Leslie Uggams "Hey There Good Times".

minor muppetz

Reaction score
giovannii said:
It's a shame he wasnt used more often. He's really the only big monster missing from Leslie Uggams "Hey There Good Times".
He was also missing from Julie Andrew's "I Whistle a Happy Tune" number, even though he was mentioned by name earlier in that episode (They should have shown him and Sweetums playing badmitton so that fans who didn't know their names would know who Gonzo was referring to... was that the only time Thog was mentioned by name on The Muppet Show?)

giovannii

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
He was also missing from Julie Andrew's "I Whistle a Happy Tune" number, even though he was mentioned by name earlier in that episode (They should have shown him and Sweetums playing badmitton so that fans who didn't know their names would know who Gonzo was referring to... was that the only time Thog was mentioned by name on The Muppet Show?)
Aside from Sweetums, Thog appears to be everyones favourite big monster muppet.

It's a shame they didnt use him in place of Timmy or the Mutations. (The Mutations don't even have individual names).

travellingpat

Reaction score
Somehow I doubt that Disney will spend the money to rebuild him unless he becomes a key plot point or character in future movies/specials/tv shows....

sadly yours,
Travelling Pat.......

minor muppetz

Reaction score
giovannii said:
It's a shame they didnt use him in place of Timmy or the Mutations. (The Mutations don't even have individual names).
Or Thog could have been there instead of Mean Mama, who made her first appearance as a full-body character in I whistle a Happy Tune. Henson would have saved money by using Thog instead of turning a normal-sized puppet into a full-body character.