The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss: Season 1 vs. Season 2

DMHFan

Reaction score
I have a question: Why is Season 1 of The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss not often talked about/underrated, compared to Season 2 of the show? I think it's because of the fact that Season 1 aired on Nickelodeon (regular Nickelodeon) on Sunday nights at 8:00 PM, a time when some people would be asleep.

Oh, and by the way, I prefer Season 1 of this show. Season 2 ruined it for me.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I remember as a kid being afraid of the season 1 intro for multiple reasons and all the video releases would play a season 2 episode followed by a season 1 episode. I remember thinking of it as something really fun slipping into something dark and really absurd

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn’t think any particular seasons were discussed more or less than others. Didn’t think the show had much talk at all on the Muppet forums (and I was a fan of the show when it aired).

8pm on a Sunday isn’t a particularly late time for people. When I was in Elementary school my bedtime was 9PM, when I entered middle school (a year before the show premiered) my bedtime was moved to 10PM. And the year this show premiered, Nickelodeon began to switch to Nick at Nite at 8:30, when previously Nick at Nite started at 8. I don’t think many kids would be in bed by then (maybe if they were really young).

I feel like I remember the first season a lot better than the later seasons. Off-hand, I can’t think of many that came in later seasons (I think the Yertle the Turtle “the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence” is one), if I look at episode guides for a reminder I’ll probably remember most of the episodes. And I don’t think I ever stopped watching the show during its original run (and this was just a few years when I would phase out of watching Nickelodeon programming).
season one had some great episodes, like Yertle being accused of stealing a statue, The Grinch ruining a vacation spot, a family finding a creature that never finishes things, Fox convincing Knox to go on a vacation with him, an episode with a father who’s too interested in something (and I forget what) to spend time with his family.... was it season 1 or 2 that had the episode featuring a storytelling machine that allows for two stories (including a backstory on how The Grinch got Max)? And was it season 2 that had the episode where Jane Kanagroo gets a cleaning machine (with the motto “you can never be too clean”)?

DMHFan

Reaction score
I didn’t think any particular seasons were discussed more or less than others. Didn’t think the show had much talk at all on the Muppet forums (and I was a fan of the show when it aired).

8pm on a Sunday isn’t a particularly late time for people. When I was in Elementary school my bedtime was 9PM, when I entered middle school (a year before the show premiered) my bedtime was moved to 10PM. And the year this show premiered, Nickelodeon began to switch to Nick at Nite at 8:30, when previously Nick at Nite started at 8. I don’t think many kids would be in bed by then (maybe if they were really young).

I feel like I remember the first season a lot better than the later seasons. Off-hand, I can’t think of many that came in later seasons (I think the Yertle the Turtle “the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence” is one), if I look at episode guides for a reminder I’ll probably remember most of the episodes. And I don’t think I ever stopped watching the show during its original run (and this was just a few years when I would phase out of watching Nickelodeon programming).
season one had some great episodes, like Yertle being accused of stealing a statue, The Grinch ruining a vacation spot, a family finding a creature that never finishes things, Fox convincing Knox to go on a vacation with him, an episode with a father who’s too interested in something (and I forget what) to spend time with his family.... was it season 1 or 2 that had the episode featuring a storytelling machine that allows for two stories (including a backstory on how The Grinch got Max)? And was it season 2 that had the episode where Jane Kanagroo gets a cleaning machine (with the motto “you can never be too clean”)?
I see your point.

P.S. To help you remember which episode belongs to which season, maybe this should help:

Last edited:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I remember watching Wubbulous World when it aired on a PBS station about 10 years ago. Probably the worst decline in quality a show has had going from season 1 to season 2 that I've ever seen. It went from an engaging and adventurous storybook-esque anthology series to what was essentially an Elmo World's knockoff. I understand that they were probably aiming to target a younger audience but it went from a nice show to almost completely unwatchable. Still, the first season was a gem.