The "Snake" Frackles

Saironi

Reaction score
People say Lenny is a revised version of the Snake Frackle, but that doesn't make sense, since the Snake Frackle is the one with green fur and large chin. Maybe they mean "Purple" Snake Frackle, but that can be seen in the background of the auidience, too. Anyone else notice that?

P

Philip Kippel

Saironi said:
Maybe they mean "Purple" Snake Frackle, but that can be seen in the background of the auidience, too. Anyone else notice that?
Yes, we mean the purple snake-like frackle that appeared in the Vincent Price and Ethel Merman episodes.

Why they chose to use that puppet instead of Lenny is beyond us.

Saironi

Reaction score
I never understood why they call the green monster the Snake Frackle....

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have a feeling that if the You've Got a Friend number didn't have to be cut from the DVD, the Muppet Morsels would have acknowledged him and explained his origins. That creatures other appearances (in a few audience shots and the Vincent Price opening) are probably too short to acknowledge him.

For awhile I was starting to become convinced that Lenny did evolve from that purple frackle, but then I saw a picture from a TV Guide cover on the Muppet Wiki website, and in that picture, there's a group shot of Jim Henson surrounded by Muppets, and it looks like both Lenny the Lizard and that purple creature are present in the same shot. Oddly enough, that magazine issue was from 1969, before The Great Santa Clause Switch was broadcast (and I think the special was produced in the summer of 1970).

Saironi

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
Here it is:

http://muppet.wikia.com/images/3/34/EarlyMuppetsandJim.JPG

Interestingly, Lenny didn't even appear in the special.
You can't really be sure. There were other Frackles in the special that didn't appear on The Muppet Show. And Gonzo went from a Frackle to a Whatever, so maybe Lenny was the "Lizard" Frackle, but was in the background where we couldn't see him.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Saironi said:
You can't really be sure. There were other Frackles in the special that didn't appear on The Muppet Show. And Gonzo went from a Frackle to a Whatever, so maybe Lenny was the "Lizard" Frackle, but was in the background where we couldn't see him.
It's been awhile since i last watched the Florence henderson episode with the Muppet Morsels on, but I beleive that the morsels state that Lenny the Lizard evolved from the Snake Frackle, not the one that we've recently been calling Snake Frackle (though before the DVD release, we've been calling him Green Hunchback Frackle). The morsels could have been refferring to the wrong character.

While there have been frackles who didn't appear in The Great Santa Clause Switch, I don't think there were any frackles created before that, or at least they weren't called Frackles untill then (some Snerfs appear as frackles, and according to Muppet Wiki, the original monster puppet that evolved into Cookie Monster was slightly modified as The Alarm Frackle in that special).

When the transcript and pictures were first shown at Tough Pigs, I thought I saw a green snake-like frackle who looked like Lenny the Lizard in that special, but when I looked at that site last december, I couldn't find the picture with a snake-like Lenny, but did see a picture of what looked like the purple frackle from You've Got a Friend.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing that I forgot to point out is that in the picture I mentioned, only Lenny's head can be seen. His arms aren't really shown, so he could have been a snake in that picture.

Saironi

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
It's been awhile since i last watched the Florence henderson episode with the Muppet Morsels on, but I beleive that the morsels state that Lenny the Lizard evolved from the Snake Frackle, not the one that we've recently been calling Snake Frackle (though before the DVD release, we've been calling him Green Hunchback Frackle). The morsels could have been refferring to the wrong character.
*nods* Snake Frackle was the green-furred monster who had a large chin.