The Screaming Thing

skittlesbabe3

Reaction score
ok, so when i was little my sister and i used to be terrified of this one muppets character who was pink and he would be running so fast that it looked like his legs were going in circles. i would like to know if anyone can help me find that character or find the video clip from that episode or anything to do with him. i have been looking but i cant find it. please help? anyone? its driving me crazy!:eek:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. Welcome to the craziness that is Muppet Central. You're most probably thinking of the character known as The Screaming Thing from the song "Windmills Of Your Mind", which appeared in the Don Knotts episode of TMS, the first one from Season 2. Check out his page at Muppet Wiki and hope that helps answer your question.
Have fun exploring the rest of the forums and have a good day.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh yes, make that two! That thing used to terrify me, lol. I think it was mainly the fast paced music that made me uneasy, I used to feel like that thing was going to come out from behind a corner at night or something (I had an overactive imagination as a child lol).

skittlesbabe3

Reaction score
thank you.

hahaha yes! that was it. i cant believe that i used to be so afraid of that. and i guess he wasnt totally pink. i remember that my old babysitter used to play it in out kitchen tv and our living tv and i would be trapped on the side of the oven because i wouldnt want to watch it. lol anywyas thanks a lot for finding it.:smile:

peyjenk

Reaction score
I was always weirded out by his three-legs-that-make-a-wheel anatomic anomaly. That was one bizarre dude!

Mr Devco

Reaction score
is there a thread abou muppet and ect moments that scared us? If no there should be. I have too many to count

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Thought it was in the Classic Sesame subsection.
Now hurry along and get dressed Prawn, we have a fanfic writer's meeting in, oh, around the time we can naggishly get someone to post an update. Know of someone like that?
:wisdom: :frown: :grouchy:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, I watched that and it TERRIFIED me. First time I was scared of a muppet skit. it wasnt the muppet alone that scared me, it was the music together with it! :eek:

I dont think it would have been bad if it was a happier music.

But I had also been through a really tramatic experience a few days before I watched this so that might have added to my terror. Otherwise it might have just creeped me out :scary:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I always thought it was a bird. Rowlf, as Dr. Bob, says in Vet's Hospital: "let's face it, this bird has one foot in the grave".

Interestingly enough, the Don Knotts & Rudolf Nureyev episodes were the first that I ever had on tape, so I was quite used to it, although I agree, it was a little spooky - the oddness of the music, the weirdness of the actual creature, and of course, the suddenness of him screaming at the end and then suddenly appearing in and jumping out of Statler & Waldorf's box.

Odd that they never found another use for the character and that this was his only appearance. When you're so used to the character from repeated viewings, as I was, it's interesting to think of it in the context of the whole series, seeing as he was little more than a footnote in the grand scheme of "The Muppet Show".

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole