The new Dark Crystal series...

Space Muppet

Reaction score
I saw the SDCC coverage of the new 'Dark Crystal' series, and was greatly disappointed to see that no puppeteers were present.

I'm of the opinion that the puppeteers should be doing the voices, not celebrities.

It seems to me that the Henson company has come to look at their puppeteers simply as technicians. This might explain the failure of the Muppets TV series a while back. The showrunners/producers apparently think they know how to put on a show better than the performers themselves.

Just sayin'...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Unfortunately, bringing in celebrities to dub the voices is purely for marketing . . . if ordinary people recognize the names, they're more likely to check it out - this is one of the main reasons why most animated movies have celebrities to provide the voices of the main characters, reserving actual voice actors usually for background or minor characters.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I don't really see how it's much different. It's still actors doing voices and puppeteers doing the puppeteering. Louise Gold has said though, that most of the performers did get to do some voice work though.

Space Muppet

Reaction score
I don't really see how it's much different. It's still actors doing voices and puppeteers doing the puppeteering. Louise Gold has said though, that most of the performers did get to do some voice work though.
I would think the puppeteers would rather be doing the voices themselves. I know I would!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
celebrities sell. people would rather watch something if they recognize one of the voices. its the reason why so many horrible childrens movies get big name celebrities.

Sure it would be nice for the puppeteers to do their own voices, but with today's age of needing celebrities in everything or else no one cares, it was inevitable