The Need for Female Roles (Why We Want Skeeter)

beaker

Reaction score
There can be no doubt to the unbelievable kindness, warmth and heart expressed by Fozzie Bear over the decades; as well as Kermit, Gonzo, etc. However, while modern Sesame Street has a strong female presence(both muppet and human), The Muppet Show and all subsequent incarnations seemed to lack that.(The memory of "Spamela Hamdersen" sadly still lingers, ugh)

That's why, after reading the story arc involving the imagined "grown up"(college aged) Skeeter, it occurs to me just *how* needed the Skeeter character is. Who here could imagine how wonderful it'd be to have Skeeter start making appearances on muppets.com and youtube skits, appearances on tv and in person at events, and eventually be in the new movies, specials, or a future show? I definitely think Karen Prell would be choice number one to provide the fun spunky charm needed; as well as a couple of the Henson stuffed and unstrung performers off the top of my head.

It's a topic I haven't seen discussed all too often, but I strongly feel there needs to be(as much as the Muppets *have* been diverse) more of a stronger female factor to the Muppets.
Miss Piggy can be a bit...domineering; it'd be nice to have a strong girl lead to counter balance that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd also like to see Skeeter Harley Quinned into the series... but there in lies the problem.

We need a new series first. Or at least a movie. And even then, how do you stop something like this from being considered fan service, leading to a character that no one can get the voice or characteristics down, leaving her to be on a few episodes (few minutes of movie). Plus, would any of the Muppet studio people recognize her outside the comics, or even recognize comics as a respectable medium rather than merchandising (considering the audience they've amassed)?

If somehow, SOMEHOW we get a Skeeter designed closley after the Muppet comics version, I'd really like to see that in Muppet form. The design alone demands merchandising.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
LOL, yes, I'd love at least have half my closet filled with Skeeter gear. :smile:

The amusing thing is, Piggy and Skeeter are in a lot of ways alike. Skeeter is just more mischievous than domineering. But Skeeter definitely needs to be brought in. Wouldn't it be funny to watch Piggy do one of her workout vids with Skeeter ACTUALLY able to keep up, upstaging Piggy? Piggy can always get her back by throwing Skeeter into some sort of foo-foo girly role as punishment. I would hope Karen would be Skeeter. Skeeter is a lot like Red too -- ready to charge ahead up until it starts getting too hot, then she starts freaking out. :big_grin: Gonzo and Skeeter could team up for stunts. Scooter and Skeeter could have "family moments" that you don't really get outside of Kermit and Robin or Fozzie and his mom. Have Scooter swipe Bunsen's wish-making helmet or something and have him wish for his long-lost sister to reappear, if you can't think of any other way for her to show up.

Nick22

Reaction score
i'd LOVE to see skeeter as part of the regular muppet cast. that be great! and i agree that karen prell would be a PERFECT choice to play skeeter. i'm all for skeeter joining the regular muppet cast! :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
I'd also like to see Skeeter Harley Quinned into the series... but there in lies the problem.

We need a new series first. Or at least a movie. And even then, how do you stop something like this from being considered fan service, leading to a character that no one can get the voice or characteristics down, leaving her to be on a few episodes (few minutes of movie). Plus, would any of the Muppet studio people recognize her outside the comics, or even recognize comics as a respectable medium rather than merchandising (considering the audience they've amassed)?

If somehow, SOMEHOW we get a Skeeter designed closley after the Muppet comics version, I'd really like to see that in Muppet form. The design alone demands merchandising.
I see what you're saying, but it wouldn't be reconning or anything. While I do not in any way shape or form consider Muppet Babies canon or related to The Muppets as we know them...I think Skeeter is just too perfect for modern Muppetdom. There NEEDS to be a new strong female presence.

Now, we see new Muppet characters all the time...as well as obscure characters who make a comeback and brought to the forefront.

Look at Pepe. Or Mo Frackle. Or Big Mean Carl. Heck Carl was originally just a small time character on early 1990's business meeting motivational vhs tapes that noone ever saw, then had a few scenes on Muppets Tonight...now he's one of the most prominent characters(youtube, muppets.com, letters to santa, muppets take over today)

All that needs to be done is reintroduce Scooter as a main character again, and have him say "hey everyone, this is my sister who is back from college" or on a break from college or visiting from way out where.

If Disney truly wants to connect to the tween or disaffected youth crowd, they NEED to bring the Skeeter as debuted in the ongoing Muppet comic series. I think she would be a much welcomed dynamic. Im thinking Karen Prell, Colleen Smith, or Leslie Carrara-Rudolph.

beaker

Reaction score
LOL, yes, I'd love at least have half my closet filled with Skeeter gear. :smile:

The amusing thing is, Piggy and Skeeter are in a lot of ways alike. Skeeter is just more mischievous than domineering. But Skeeter definitely needs to be brought in. Wouldn't it be funny to watch Piggy do one of her workout vids with Skeeter ACTUALLY able to keep up, upstaging Piggy? Piggy can always get her back by throwing Skeeter into some sort of foo-foo girly role as punishment. I would hope Karen would be Skeeter. Skeeter is a lot like Red too -- ready to charge ahead up until it starts getting too hot, then she starts freaking out. :big_grin: Gonzo and Skeeter could team up for stunts. Scooter and Skeeter could have "family moments" that you don't really get outside of Kermit and Robin or Fozzie and his mom. Have Scooter swipe Bunsen's wish-making helmet or something and have him wish for his long-lost sister to reappear, if you can't think of any other way for her to show up.
Ha, I can so see that! :wink: Yeah I definitely envision, especially after reading the comic issues, of Skeeter having a bit of Red in her. That fun, spunky, happy go lucky eclectic mix. I love the warmth of Fozzie, Kermit and Gonzo, the mispronouncing suave charm of Pepe, the wisecracking of Rizzo, the humble zen like insanity of Animal...but there definitely needs to be something more for the modern age.

Perhaps a petition can be started or something, to let folks at Disney know?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It has been something I've always wondered.

There's a reason why Baby Janice only appeared once (a shame) and Skeeter was created. Janice wouldn't have fit into the standard 1980's trope of the athletic one in a gang of kids. Same reason why they turned Scooter into a computer nerd. You know what I mean... Get Along Gang, Pink Panther and Sons...etc. Only, you know... GOOD. In fact it never really even struck me as a 1980's gang of kids show until just recently (they hid it too well... the characters had more than flat personalities and actually had character to them).

Then I just realized... what about Annie Sue? She could have been a perfect athletic girl to fill out the cast. There would have been the same amount of tension between her and Piggy. Surely, the producers just didn't even consider Annie Sue (wonder if they knew or cared who she was), and Skeeter was born.

I've been stating for a while, she would have had a prime place in MT, filling out the whole that Scooter filled. Only, I'd see her as a not so eager slacker type who's basically just taking a career stop with the show. She'd screw things up due to lack of care or interest, and she'd constantly get into trouble. Same way that Scooter was able to wave around "My Uncle owns the theater," Skeeter would be able to say "My brother said I could have the job." More nepotism. But I think that Roger and Amy perfectly crafted an Adult Skeeter in a way not even fan fic writers could.

If we are able to twist arms, I would love to see them take a look at the comic version of the character... same design, same personality. They got something perfect down with her, even improving on the character from Muppet Babies.

Nick22

Reaction score
why don't they bring annie sue back too? why not two female roles? i mean, piggy and janice are the only females. why not have more? and annie sue would make for good storylines with piggy. someone start a petiton?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Skeeter has a lot of potential for being a canon character in the movies. (This coming from somebody who hasn't read the comics yet...:stick_out_tongue:) And so does Annie Sue, even though she was only in a few episodes.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
If you're looking for a strong female lead, I can see Janice doing just that. She's the complete opposite of Piggy and I could see Janice keeping everybody in good moods, spreading good vibes to everyone, etc.

But she's just regulated more or less as part of The Electric Mayhem.

Annie Sue could have fit that bill too. But she hasn't been used since The Muppet Show.