The Mutations

furryslipper

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew of episodes of the Muppet Show that included the Mutations, especially with them dancing with female guest stars, they're such good dancers! I had heard they were in numbers with Madeline Kahn and Connie Stevens. Does anyone have any details about the scenes?

My favourite Muppet numbers were always when the big furry monsters interacted with the guests, it seemed they could do a little more with a live actor in the costume. If anyone has a list or could point me to one that describes the big monster (especially the Mutations) scenes, it would be most appreciated.

Congratulations on a fine site!

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
According to The Kermitage site,Connie sings Teenager in Love with Mutations(I remember they were in the sketch just dancing around & with Connie).As far as the Mutations being on the Madeline Kahn sketch,can't help you there,sorry.The Mutation Tony was in the skit of Copa Cabana,during the Liza Minelli episode. :zany:

Joggy

Reaction score
Madeline sang "I'll never forget your feet" while the Mutations (dressed as sheiks) danced, tossed her around, and demonstrated their feetwork.

They also danced in the background with Sandy Duncan ("Nice Girl Like Me") and Julie Andrews ("I Whistle A Happy Tune"), plus they helped Doug Henning with a magic trick.

furryslipper

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help guys! I saw them dancing with Leslie Uggams on the show today, it was a wonderfull performance! Ever since I was a little girl, I always wanted to do a dance number with them! My Mum used to put on her big furry dust mop slippers that looked like the Mutation's feet and danced with me standing on her feet. Some of my best childhood memories. I remember being so sad when Jim Henson died and my Mum did her best to cheer me up. She got me a pair of those big, purple furry dust mop slippers and said "come on hon, let's dance one more time Jim". She is the best.

jediX

Reaction score
As far as I know, they popped up in the Alice Cooper episode, too. I havn't seen it in a while, but can vaguely remember them during "School's Out." I'm pretty sure they were in the Julie Andrews ep, too.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Only one of them appeared in the Alice Cooper episode. Ditto the Paul Williams episode.

All three appeared in Melissa Manchester's closing number, two of them were in the goodnights, too.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

D

Dil

I think the "Oklahoma" number in the Spike Milligan episode is the Mutations' only appearance without a guest star (outside the theme).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if any of the mutation costumes are still in good working condition. I don't think they ever appeared in anything after The Great Muppet Caper (they weren't even in the 30th anniversary special).

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
In "Teenager in Love", the Mutations not only dance and sing backup, they also try to upstage Connie. But, they only do this a little bit and the song itself is only about a minute long. Basically they each shove Connie while crossing the stage, and at the end, when she twirls in front of them to applause, each Mutation thinks that HE'S the one being applauded, and reacts as such.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
What I'd like to know is, who were the guys in the Mutations suits? Were those some of the Muppeteers in there or did they bring in a team of dance doubles?