The Foam Book Videos 4 SALE

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Again, I wasn't bashing but making a point about the negative impact piracy has on artists, mostly smaller independent ones. This is a BIG issue these days and a big problem. And it hurts the little guys the most. If Madonna looses thousands of dollars because of piracy it's not really a big deal. But her label is less likely to sign smaller, riskier independent artists if they're losing lots of money because of piracy (and that's what has happened in the record industry).

Alot of people are losing money because of this kind of thing in general and the powers-that-be are really starting to crack down and enforce their rights. I saw today on CNN that the recording industry association in the U.S. has begun taking university students who illegally downloading music from the Internet to court (they were tracked down by their ISPs). Most of them have settled for around $17,000. Piracy just got very, very expensive for them. And that was just the beginning.

Much more expensive than just buying the CDs.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
You can go on and on until you are blue in the face. So and so can go ask whomever what his friend thinks..... But the fact of the matter stands that making a copy for my personal use IS NOT against the law.

Why do you think all that copying and trading going on in the other areas of MC aren't getting busted? They sure as heck don't pay for those copies that their getting! This is no different, you just choose to rant and rave and run your personal debates in a thread when you sure as well could be starting your own thread on the issue. I've already stated that I do not agree, will not be changing my mind, and KNOW that I am NOT comitting a crime.

You know, I was nice despite the fact that someone up there called me "Dumb" for being so honest. But now that I have been totally angered by the pushy and narrowminded oppinions listed on this thread I think I better be done with what I have to say because I don't want to continue with a bad experience in a place where I am supposed to have fun.

So, if your whole thing is to get the last word..... then get it over with tonight because I've had it with this thread and dealing with pushy "gotta always be right" people.

YOUR MORAL OPPINION IS NOT LAW...... thank god!

Erine81981

Reaction score
*smacks Buck-Beaver's face* Leave puppetplanet alone. Sorry but if anyone has a proumble you can deal w/ me. Ok.

LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!

*passes out*

CB Boy

Reaction score
*Pulls out rubber chicken*

*Pauses for a moment*

*Thinks better of inflicting senseless cartoon violence on misguided but well-meaning fellow MCers*

I got a good chuckle out of reading this thread (because everyone freaking out failed to read/understand what Buck was talking about).

My hats off to Buck for - as per usual here - makin' a bulletproof case for why piracy is wrong and completing his transformation in to the Metallica of Muppet Central. Now Buck, if you channel that energy in to something like finding a cure for cancer, lobbying for the Kyoto Accord or campaigning against landmines we'll really be rockin' :wink:

Some random thoughts:

Ernie - *Whacks with rubber chicken anyway* Mess with the Beaver and u mess with the Moose (and you don't wanna mess with the moose) :zany:

PuppetPlanet - Buck's point wasn't that you can't make a personal copy (he's right that that is illegal everywhere except the US). He actually said that you can do that. What he said was illegal was making a personal copy AND selling the original. That's his whole point! And it is actually a legal fact, not an opinion.

Seriously folks (and by folks I refer to the people accusing Buck of bashing, being pushy, picking on puppetplanet, etc.) get real. THat Beaver's making good points. If you want to violate copyright laws fine, whatever. But it is stealing, illegal, and yes, it's wrong. You just can't make a case for justifying piracy. That's not a moral judgement kids - it's a legal fact.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go search Kazaa for some P. Diddy tunes before the record companies have the FBI raid my apartment and tell the INS to deport me.... :big_grin: