SST Staff Members Credited on The Dick Cavett Show

SkyeFan

Reaction score
I was watching an episode of "The Dick Cavett Show" just last week that was dated about 1975, or else 1976 since many references were made to America's bicentennial, and during the show's closing credits, I've recognized many names that I've seen in the credits for "Sesame Street". Some of the writers of the show were Bruce Hart, Carole Hart, Tony Geiss, and Clark Gesner (who has contributed to SS in the show's early years and has written some songs for "The Electric Company") as well as Mr. Cavett, himself. Plus, both Bruce Hart and Carole Hart were the producers and, I believe, Chet O'Brien was also the studio's floor manager. I missed some of the other credits, but this is all I can recall at the moment. The guests on the show, incidentally, were Marshall Efron (who also wrote for this show and has lent his voice to some cartoons on SS, such as the Canadian cartoon where a man sells five tall things to a woman, as well as that recurring man who unscrambles letters in a sign to make a word), Jackie Gleason (who was only seen in a prerecorded interview taking place at a golf course during, what looked like, a PGA tournament), and the cast of BBC's and PBS's "Upstairs, Downstairs". This was a rather interesting, yet unusual episode of "The Dick Cavett Show", since, with the exception of Jackie Gleason, the other guests actually participated in comedy skits with the show's host. It would have been really great if Jackie Gleason had taken part of any skits on this show, since his true forte is comedy. Dick Cavett also performed a soft shoe-style song and dance number at the end of the show with some woman (I believe she was one of the cast members of "Upstairs, Downstairs") right before the closing credits. This was a real highlight saved best the end of the show. Pretty good for a man who can't sing or dance. With the credits bearing some familiar names of the "Sesame Street" staff, I was also curious as to whether this show was produced at Teletape Studios, which is the same place where "Sesame Street" (from seasons 1 to 14) and "The Electric Company" were both taped. I didn't see any studio facility credit, though. However, I do know that Dick Cavett's show was often produced in New York, whether it was on ABC or else PBS, more specifically WNET, New York's PBS affiliate. His show has undergone some changed over the years, so I just thought seeing this "sketch comedy" styled show from the mid-70s was quite interesting, especially knowing that some of the writers and producers of "Sesame Street" have contributed to it.

Last edited:

crackmaster

Reaction score
I know I wanna get some of the SST staff to contribute to my Sonic fanseries Mobius Redrawn. So far, I've gotten Dorothy Moskowitz and Scott Getchell to be in it, but they were more on the animated side of things and not exactly staff on the show.