Spooner: A RARE Disney Channel Original Movie (DCOM)

Steve Arino

Reaction score
Hello Out There From TV Land,

I'd like to share with you information about a RARE Disney Channel Original Movie I found the other day: "Spooner," a DCOM originally airing on Disney Channel on December 2, 1989.

Robert Urich (#RIP) starred in this DCOM as Mike Norlon, an Escaped Forger who, after his Prison Escape from a Montana Prison, relocated to Murfreesboro, Utah (where I believe the DCOM was made entirely on location), where Mike acquired a new Identity as a recently-Deceased Educator named Harry Spooner.

Before I continue, my Avatar comes from a Stillshot of "Spooner" with Robert Urich which I found on eBay a few days ago, BUT back to the film's story.

Once arriving at Murfreesboro High, Mike/Harry began an adult Rivalship with Dean of Boys Roland Bishop (Paul Gleason, known for such wise-*** roles as Principal Richard Vernon in the R-Rated John Hughes written/directed theatrical movie "The Breakfast Club"), and found an ally in Principal Bennett Henderson (Barry Corbin, futurely of TV's "Northern Exposure"), as well as true love with School Counselor Gail Archer (Jane Kaczmarek, futurely the TV mom of the hit 2000s Disney/FOX Network sitcom "Malcolm in the Middle").

As Harry Spooner, Mike also found a job as English Teacher and Phys. Ed./Wrestling Coach, where he eventually discovered that one of his 11th-Grade pupils, Shane O'Connor (Brent Fraser), was Functionally Illiterate, BUT thrived as a Wrestler on the High School Wrestling team; not only did Shane's athletic prowess improve, but so did his Grades, even getting as High a grade as a B.

At movie's end, after his students realized their Coach's past that led him Behind Bars, Mike voluntarily turned himself in to the County Sheriff, Sheriff Reynolds (Rick Lenz, an actor who looked like the son Harry Dean Stanton and Sam Waterston never had), on Loitering charges--after coaching his final Wrestling match, which Mike's team won--but NOT, however, before giving Roland Bishop one final Commupance before being hauled back home to jail.

As Spooner put it to Bishop, "I'd punch you in the mouth right now but that could land me another 6 months in Jail and I'm very anxious to get back here," and after a few seconds, thought about it, and said, "What's another 6 months," and gave Roland the wise-*** send-off that Roland so deserved: a Punch.

Frankly, what I got out of this great, underrated DCOM is that no matter what Obstacles you face in your life, whether you're 8, 18, or 80, a life CAN be made right, and although Mike's life went wrong for him, it doesn't mean Mike didn't make a difference in Shane--a Positive difference in Shane's life.

For more information on this DCOM, please visit here at https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Spooner