Sopwith the Camel

Frogster

Reaction score
I was looking at kermitage.com not long ago, and I was reading the storyline for the Helen Reddy episode, because I was sure I saw that when I was little. In the final number, there was a camel in it by the name of Sopwith. It said that the media made such an entirely unecessary fuss over the camel that he was never seen again... can anyone tell me what the fuss was about?

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
The Sopwith Camel was a British fighter plane in WW1, perhaps they fought tis would cause offense?

Xerus

Reaction score
I really loved that sketch. Especially when the great Helen Reddy was singing, "We'll Sing in the Sunshine." She and the camel seemed to have great chemistry dancing together.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Sopwith Camel was also the name of Snoopy's "plane" (his doghouse), flown into combat against the Red Baron.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Xerus said:
I really loved that sketch. Especially when the great Helen Reddy was singing, "We'll Sing in the Sunshine." She and the camel seemed to have great chemistry dancing together.
Sorry, would you repeat that? You can have real chemestry with a camel? In Fozzie's voice: We picked up a werido.

__

Interprited:

De, whatthehey?

Xerus

Reaction score
I always thought the expression, Having great chemistry together, meant working well together. And Helen and the camel danced well together.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yes. I know. It was a poor joke at voi's expence. Sorry about that. Just thought Camel and singer, chemestry, maybe even love, very funny. Just pictured it in my head for a second. You know?

__

Interprited:

Oppsy, back uperdy, make excussey-how.

Xerus

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Yes. I know. It was a poor joke at voi's expence. Sorry about that. Just thought Camel and singer, chemestry, maybe even love, very funny. Just pictured it in my head for a second. You know?

__

Interprited:

Oppsy, back uperdy, make excussey-how.
It's all right. :smile: And I think that skit was based on a song about a just a one time romantic fling. Like with Helen and the camel.

"We'll sing in the sunshine. Then I'll be on my way!" :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Phew, glad it's ok. For a moment there I thought you'd got the hump, so I thought I'd spit out an apology as quick as possible.

__

Interprited:

Trashey cameller punny's that arnat v foony.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Frogster said:
I was looking at kermitage.com not long ago, and I was reading the storyline for the Helen Reddy episode, because I was sure I saw that when I was little. In the final number, there was a camel in it by the name of Sopwith. It said that the media made such an entirely unecessary fuss over the camel that he was never seen again... can anyone tell me what the fuss was about?
The name was never mentioned again (that may be a coincidence), but the camel full-body puppet DID appear again, in the Dizzy Gillespie, Kenny Rogers, and Marty Feldman episodes. In the Dizzy episode, he was in the closing number, "Swing Low, Sweet Cadillac", in an Arabian setting, and the character was also in the goodnights. In the Kenny Rogers episode, a group of Muppet Arabs are drilling for oil in Kenny's dressing room, and again the camel appears throughout (and also in the goodnights). In the Marty Feldman episode, the camel appears only in the cold opening- the camel is female, named Loretta, and was Marty's ride to the theater. The episode itself is an Arabian Nights-themed show.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole