Somewhere Over The Rainbow

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what happens in this segment from the Alice Cooper episode? It was edited when the epsiode was included in the Monster Laughs video. I guess it could have been because of music rights issues. I hope this song doesn't get cut from the third season DVD release. It could seem likely, as Disney might be concerned about including music from the Wizard of Oz. Then again, if it is cut because Disney couldn't get approval on Wizard Of Oz music, then the Brooke Shields episode would have a weirder ending.

Is this song sung as a straight-forward cover by Robin or is there any presence of the horror theme of the epsiode? Do any monsters appear in this? Is there any spookiness involved at all?

P

Princeton

here's the skinny...

Fozzie is in the canteen with "clean-cut kids" who have fangs. He props his head on his paw, looks at the camera, and vocalizes his wish that something peaceful happen on this show. In response, cut to Robin sitting by a little brook and singing "Over The Rainbow", symbolizing just that: something peaceful. No monsters, no spookiness, no horror.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That's weird. I wonder if it was cut from the video because it didn't fit the mood of the show. Of course, music rights are probably more likely.

Although it is weird that a stragith-forward version of a song was included in such a weird episode, I guess we should all remember that many episodes, even the most ubsurd ones, often had meaningful musical numbers. Many of the craziest episodes have had more serious songs halfway through the shows, possibly giving us a break from the comedy. Sone of the craziest epsiodes had meaningful closing numbers, but a lot of times somethign serious would happen earlier, after a lot of oddball humor had happened.

One example if the Peter Sellers episode. Throughout this show, Kermit is driven crazy, mostly because of Bunsens teleporter, but also because of other things (Gonzo riding a motorcycle backstage, getting his flipper stuck on the floor, etc.). Eventually, after an act gets canceled, kermit goes on-stage and sings Being Green, before he finds out about Bunsens invention.

Another crazy episode like this is the one with mellissa manchester. It is hard to tell what the plot of this epsiode is, and this episode has a lot of craziness, such as pigs falling on the newsman just because Mellissa Manchester thoguht that kermit said that a sketch was called Pigs From Space (instead of Pigs In Space), kermit being driven crazy over spring chickens, there being no room on stage for a teeter board so the teetering tortelini family does their act backstage (and Kermit and Fozzie both get in the way), and other such mishaps. Also, this episodes Pigs In Space skit has the announcer acknowledging a commercial break and also has an announcer announcing the swedish chefs skit. However, mellissa Manchesters first two numbers, "don't cry out loud" and "whenever I call you friend", were both serious and meaningful.