Solid Foam vs. Muppets Tonight Band

minor muppetz

Reaction score
which band o you like better: the solid foam band (from the jim henson hour) or the muppets tonight band (from... wait, i can't remember which show they're from... :smile: :crazy: ).

anyway, i like the solid foam band better.

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I've never seen the Jim Henson Hour, but on the basis that (to the best of my knowledge) none of Solid Foam save Clifford have ever reappeared; I'll assume that they were developed about as much as the MT band - and they didn't even get names!

What seems to be apparent is that no band yet has been able to match the Electric Mayhem - the great thing about them is that they all worked so well on their own as well as when together as a group.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Harvey Towers said:
but on the basis that (to the best of my knowledge) none of Solid Foam save Clifford have ever reappeared
Zondra (the drummer) and Flash was booth used on MT.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think Zhondra and the drummer were differetn characers, but performed by the same person, fran brill.

While, very few re-appeared, they did have names: the keyboard player was digit, who had a bigger role on the show as the technical director (and he was seen again, in the cosby show episode "cliffs nightmare", as the host of the "shart circuit" mini-game in muppet party cruise, and although I don't remember him in the scene, I have heard that he made a brief appearance in muppetvision 3D, at the beginning of the muppet labs segment). the saxaphone player was named flash. the guitar player was named beard, and although he never appeared again, he looks similar to zeke, from the jugband. clifford played base guitar. the only member who didn't have a name (as far as I know, and I am not sure if the fans know either) was the drummer.

I haven't seen much jim Henson Hour either, but they were better developed than the muppets tonight band. I think they were the focus of the musicians episode, and uite a few of them interacted with other characters on a regular basis. since digit worked backstage, he regularly interacted with the cast, and was one of the main characters on the show (he was one of dave goelz' main characters, in addition to gozo). clifford often appeared backstage in many episodes. beard was also seen backstage in quite a few episodes, like food and the secrets of the muppets.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Harvey Towers said:
I've never seen the Jim Henson Hour, but on the basis that (to the best of my knowledge) none of Solid Foam save Clifford have ever reappeared; I'll assume that they were developed about as much as the MT band - and they didn't even get names!
well, very few of the new characters from the jim henson hour were used as major characters in other productions. However, based on what i have seen and read, here is what I think the personalities of the other solid foam members (besides clifford) were like:

beard I think beards personality was similar to floyds, only more laid back and nicer.

flash I think that flash was a stereotypical punk rocker, based on his wardrobe. i also think that he might have been the bands lead singer, even though he played the saxaphone (most muppet horn players, like zoot, lips and trumpet girl, don't talk very much) and didn't appear as part of the band in the food episode.

digit I think that digit was the "animal" of the band, as he was the most major character on the jim henson hour. he was a humanoid robot who also worked as the technician, and I believe that he was interested in weird things (for example, in the secrets of the muppets, he was one of the few muppets who was actually interested in having their secrets revealed).

solid foam drummer I beleive that the solid foam drummer was to solid foam what lips was to the electric mayhem, what trumpet girl was to the orchestra, and what the muppets tonight band was to... the muppets tonight band. I don't think she spoke much, and I am not sure if she was even named (would we have known her name if the show wasn't cancled? did jim henson have a name in mind for her?)