Signs: A movie you can see with your parents?

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Few do that well - Metropolitan was enjoyable, but many are not. That's the part of indy films I don't like - and the new digital video trend. Just looks crummy to me<<<

Yeah, all those new dv indies like Annv Party, Full Frontal, etc look lame. I did like Richard Linklater's Waking Life and Tape, so thats my exception. But oh do I love me indie films...from Pi, Memento, Requiem for a Dream, and Ghost World to Swingers, Made, Gummo, Kids, etc. I also love visually astonishing films like The Cell, Matrix, Toys, Crouching Tiger, etc. I guess I would consider myself a pretty huge film fan(except for westerns and horror films, heh) I guess there is your average cineplex goer, then your all around big time film buff:wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Memento was wonderful! Requiem for a Dream was downright inspired. The kind of fresh filmmaking that makes me rave for days!

Totally didn't like the Cell - loved the visuals, but the actors looked like children in a pageant - pretty with a lot of dressing around them but completely bored. The Matrix was an all around much better film with a plot that made sense and had a real pay-off. Not much of an independent film, but I like Go a whole lot. Just reminds me of my misspent youth.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Memento was wonderful! Requiem for a Dream was downright inspired. The kind of fresh filmmaking that makes me rave for days!<<<

see, those are the kind of films I wish more people would see. A film that costs 1 million can be light years beyond one that is
over 100 million.

Totally didn't like the Cell - loved the visuals, but the actors looked like children in a pageant - pretty with a lot of dressing around them but completely bored<<<

Oh jamie...when I saw the Cell, I was blown away. Never had I seen such a lush canvas on film...finally the shock visuals of the avant avant garde art world had been sprawled onto the silver screen...to me it is one of th egreatest pieces of cinema I have ever seen.

The Matrix was an all around much better film with a plot that made sense and had a real pay-off<<<

aw, one of my fave films of all time! Man, I cant wait for the sequels next year!

. Not much of an independent film, but I like Go a whole lot. Just reminds me of my misspent youth.<<<

I liked that too, by the Swingers director. I just love films like that...whether they have an attention to detail or show emotion
that most Hollywood films cannot define. I would highly reccomend you see One Hour Photo wich is coming to the Brige Theatre in a couple weeks in SF. It is one of th emost astonishing and remarkable films Ive ever seen. I am also really excited about
Red Dragon, as well as a few other films out this Fall.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
<<when I saw the Cell, I was blown away. Never had I seen such a lush canvas on film...finally the shock visuals of the avant avant garde art world had been sprawled onto the silver screen...to me it is one of th egreatest pieces of cinema I have ever seen. >>

Agreed on the visuals, I just felt the script totally bit - had no purpose or value than to show the visiuals. No core. Just put me in a bad icky mood for the rest of the day - and not in a good way, but the visuals were stunning! Can't deny that.

I really want to see One Hour Photo. Insomnia was pretty good too, not nearly as good as Memento, but still a darn good film! B.

One of my top 10 has to be The Grifters! Now that's a film I can watch several times a year!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Agreed on the visuals, I just felt the script totally bit - had no purpose or value than to show the visiuals. No core. Just put me in a bad icky mood for the rest of the day - and not in a good way, but the visuals were stunning! Can't deny that.

I really want to see One Hour Photo. Insomnia was pretty good too, not nearly as good as Memento, but still a darn good film! <<<

yeah, not as original as Memento, but I loved the score and ambience to it. Youve really gotta see one hour photo, unless Lucas releases a Episode Two with a good ending...or Red Dragon happens to be as good as Silence of the Lambs...One Hour Photo has to be th eyear's best film. I got to meet Robin William's recently, and it is astonishing how night and day this performance is. Oh, theres this GREAT trailer site that updates daily: www.apple.com/trailers Has the brand new full trailers
for star trek nemesis, red dragon, one hour photo, the good girl...as well as teasers for Terminator 3 and Dare Devil.

One of my top 10 has to be The Grifters! Now that's a film I can watch several times a year!<<<

Never seen that one. My top films would be everything from the original ninja turtles, jedi, MTM to the matrix, se7en, and clerks.

arghh, youre pushing me ever so closer to member seniority than I want....hehe

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Gotta see the Grifters! I thought you liked ep 2. I though the ending was okay. It was like the Empire of the new trilogy. Can't have a big ending because it's coming in the next film. Still liked Spiderman better - though I know you didn't. Problems but for what it was it gets an A- from me. Can't wait for DVD.

Seen all those previews - pretty good. I live next to an AMC remember? LOL!

Jackie

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
My Jamie, did you not read my reply? No, it was BECAUSE of the bltant alien effects at the end that put me off. That scene, when they showed the birthday party footage, the alien guy in the day...OH MY! That was the most frightening scene for me...but when Joaqin Phoneix is having a Jason and the Argonauts dual with a cgi rubber man I was like 'oh brother!'. M Night keeps the slight of hand and suspense going til then.
LOL I loved that birthday party footage. That was soo cool and sooo unexpected.