Shaka's Sesame Sketches

AlittleMayhem

Reaction score
Ooo, I do like! I'm getting a lot of Abby and Count vibes from her!

ShakaRaka

Reaction score
Heh, I didn't even have the Count in mind when designing her, but you make a point. xD
Gawd, why do I take so frikkin' long to reply to these things?!

Anyway, I may as well present the last two here in this post.

These two probably have the most Muppet-y feel to them out of the four; especially Bernie (on the right). Although I feel the most proud of Jackie's design on the left.
It was surprisingly hard to design a bulbous-eyed monster that didn't look like some weird version of Elmo. XD; But I think I pulled it off. Second opinions? :big_grin: Again, critiques are welcome.

ShakaRaka

Reaction score
Apologies for this being so wide.

Here I have an age chart for a monster that I considered to have a very "basic" looking design. :3 I have a somewhat lengthy explanation for his dramatic growth spurt in the middle, as well as his wardrobe updates in the last two.

Headcanon ahead! D8

This sort of demonstrates how I theorize a typical monster matures. It seems to me like they mature faster than humans in some respects - such as mobility and physical coordination, articulating and comprehending speech, etcetera - but mature at around the same rate in other areas like math, reading and writing, emotional maturity to an extent, and so on (although that last one can vary a bit).

I also imagine that they enter adolescence much earlier, given how some of the young monsters still learning to read and count are practically as big as their parents.
And because most monsters live alongside humans - most of whom can't always tell a "teenage" monster from an adult one on appearance or voice alone - those entering their "chronological teen" years and young adult years tend to start wearing certain types of clothes as a visual cue to non-monsters, as well as just signifying their new adult status. Not all of them do, granted, but a good majority of them do. Anything from a simple shirt collar or pearl necklace to a full outfit can work.

So yeah, in my fanon, those such as Telly, Rosita, Murray, and even Cookie Monster, are biologically adolescents, but due to their overall mental and emotional maturity, coupled with their chronological age of 5-8 (at least, in my mind), they're still socially considered children.

Thoughts? Even if you disagree, I'd like to hear someone else's perspective on this. C:

Also, I thought it made sense for Elmo's arms and hands to develop into the sort of bell shape that both his parents have. Still might tweek the design later, though.

... Good Lord, my text takes up more space than my actual artwork. OTL

ShakaRaka

Reaction score
Well, it's been... quite a while. |D; I fell out of my SSt phase for a time, but now I'd like some more practice with the monsters and whatnot.

So if anyone still pays attention to this thread (although I'd hardly blame you if you don't xD), I'd appreciate suggestions for Sesame sketches. Not requests, mind you. Just suggestions.

I did draw this, though, which was a request from someone in real-life, but I never got to give it to them. :C Ah well.

Connie seems really popular, compared to my other OCs. XD

Erine81981

Reaction score
WOW! I love every drawing you have done. You have made me fall in love with your art. How I would love to fall in love with a woman who loves drawing as much as I do. Keep the coming. Could you do a age chart for Telly Monster. I would love to see how you depict his age when he's a baby. That's what I'm about to work on right now. A Baby Telly Monster drawing. I'll try and post it here soon. But also I don't want to take away from your art work at all.