Sesame Street Special "See Us Coming Together"

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Special - See Us Coming Together
HBO Max Premiere: Thursday November 25, 2021
PBS Premiere: Thursday November 25, 2021

This Thursday, don't miss "See Us Coming Together" an all-new Sesame Street special on HBO Max and PBS.

"See Us Coming Together" was created for kids and adults to watch together and celebrate the rich diversity of Asian and Pacific Islander communities as part of Sesame Workshop’s ongoing racial justice initiative.

"See Us Coming Together" celebrates Asian-American and Pacific Islander cultures and introduces a new Korean-American Muppet girl, Ji-Young. The special also features the original song "See Us Coming Together" and a new performance of "The People in Your Neighborhood."

Celebrity guests include Simu Liu, Anna Cathcart, Jim Lee, Padma Lakshmi, Melissa King, and Naomi Osaka.

About HBO Max

Subscriptions are available for $14.99 monthly without ads or $9.99 monthly with ads. If you already have HBO or an AT&T service (internet, tv or cell phone), you may have access to HBO Max already in your existing plan. Find out on the HBO Max website or in your AT&T account.

About PBS

If you don't have HBO Max, "See Us Coming Together" is also available to stream online at pbskids.org/sesame for a limited time.

If you saw "See Us Coming Together", please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I know it's pointless to keep bringing this up since there are logistical, technical, and availability details at play, but it's still rather disenchanting when they have to essentially just chromakey everyone in front of scenery as opposed to filming on the actual set in the actual studio.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Glad I’m not the only one who noticed the obvious green-screening.

Otherwise, this was a good special.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I liked Ryan Dillon playing two AM monsters. Ji-Young saying someone told her to go home made me feel really bad for her. Nice to see Gonger without Cookie for a change. I liked the new performance of Anyone Can Be Friends. Seeing cameos from Peter Linz, Liz Hara and Kathy Kim was nice.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I know it's pointless to keep bringing this up since there are logistical, technical, and availability details at play, but it's still rather disenchanting when they have to essentially just chromakey everyone in front of scenery as opposed to filming on the actual set in the actual studio.
I think those "at-home" specials last year show them that they can produce low-budget (and/or low-quality?) content like this and still get some positive reception. Considering the last two season-opening specials were animated, I wonder if we'll get another full-fledged in-studio special next year.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I'm amused that Ryan D. basically played his DillonGale characters just as Sesame monsters.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I liked Ryan Dillon playing two AM monsters. Ji-Young saying someone told her to go home made me feel really bad for her. Nice to see Gonger without Cookie for a change. I liked the new performance of Anyone Can Be Friends. Seeing cameos from Peter Linz, Liz Hara and Kathy Kim was nice.
I wonder why they showed Gonger at Hooper's but Cookie back at the Foodie Truck. I guess the companies are somewhat affiliated.

Ji-Young saying someone told her to go home made me feel really bad for her.
Yeah, I have friends of different races too and I'd be pretty ticked if I heard of anyone saying anything like that to them.

Overall, this was a good special. I especially liked Alan and the Muppets doing "People In Your Neighborhood." Though I have to admit, it is interesting that they didn't really touch much on Alan's culture until recent seasons. When Hiroshi was introduced back in the late 80s, talking about his Japanese culture was kind of a regular thing. Not sure why that is. Just thought I'd point that out.

Overall, it's nice that they aired this special on PBS without making people who don't get HBOMax have to wait nine months. Definitely a good way to introduce the new characters. (Though I was hoping Elmo's new puppy Tango would appear. Also I'm hoping Dorothy isn't jealous of his new pet.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Fox News is slow on jumping on this bandwagon, but now Tucker Carlson is whining about Sesame's wokeness in adding a new Asian-American Muppet like Ji-Young. Big shock.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Honestly, I’m more shocked it took them 2 months to find out.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
More likely they're trying to avoid talking about the Capitol riot, so they'll drudge up whatever.