Sesame Street Season 51 Episode 5122 - Match It!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 5122 - Match It!
HBO Max Premiere: Thursday April 8, 2021
PBS Premiere: Thursday April 8, 2021

Elmo hosts a matching game, and the teams must find objects that are similar to a sweater, but in different ways. They wonder if they can find something that starts with the letter “S,” feels the same, and matches its color. Let’s try.

This episode features an all-new street story, I Wonder, What If, Let’s Try ("Matching Socks"), Cookie's Crumby Pictures ("Furry Potter and the Goblet of Cookies") and Elmo the Musical ("Iguana the Musical").

Beginning with Season 46, HBO acquired exclusive first-rights to broadcast Sesame Street episodes. PBS broadcasts these same shows nine months after their HBO Max premiere. In order to help more children with autism, this episode premiered jointly on HBO Max and PBS on Thursday April 8, 2021. Check local listings for air times for PBS. This is the first Season 51 episode to air on PBS.

Autism currently affects 1 in 68 children. Sesame Workshop has an official website for children and parents who are dealing with the challenges of autism.

If you saw "Match It!" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Looking at the episode on HBO Max, I think someone mixed up the descriptions for this episode and the last one.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I really liked Elmo putting on a game-show host voice. The slow-motion bit was funny.

ssetta

Reaction score
I really was not impressed with it. I really think Julia needs to have a special interest, like a lot of the other characters have, such as Bert’s paper clips and bottle caps, and Telly’s triangles. I think there should be an episode where she has a special interest and keeps talking about it nonstop, tiring out everybody else who she’s with. That’s exactly what used to happen to me when I would talk about Sesame Street with people. Similar to the sketch years ago where Bert showed off his bottle cap collection to Ernie and he pretty much yawned throughout the whole thing.

ssetta

Reaction score
I don't talk about Sesame Street with the general public as much as I did when I was younger. I'm talking like before I even discovered Muppet Central, I would talk about it with the people in school. And they would be like "Can we please not talk about Sesame Street?" or even like "Dude, shut up, nobody cares about Sesame Street." And I think that's what should end up happening with Julia.

I would hate to say this, but while Sesame Street is the first children's show to incorporate a lot of things, they are NOT the first children's show to have an autistic character. That show would be Arthur. They had a character named George who had an obsession with trains (a common interest among autistic people), and like as soon as he started talking about trains, he couldn't stop. I don't normally watch Arthur, so I don't know if George appeared in any other episodes, though I somehow would assume he did. But I feel like Arthur did a much better job explaining autism. And you know, people also used to try and argue with me that Arthur in general was better than Sesame Street, which of course I disagreed with.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
While I’m not full-on autistic, it is an interesting point that trains seem to be a common thing with those on the spectrum, and sometimes I wonder if my own learning-disability plays a big factor into my love for Thomas and Friends (preferably seasons 1-7 often described as the “classic era”) and my fascination for trains in general.