Sesame Street Season 50 Episode 5025 - A Very Special Fiesta

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 5025 - A Very Special Fiesta
HBO Premiere: Saturday May 2, 2020
PBS Premiere: Monday January 25, 2021

Charlie, Grover, Rudy, and Abby help Rosita and her abuela plan for a friend's fiesta. While trying to figure out what they need for the party, they try to guess who Rosita and her abuela's friend could be.

This episode features an all-new street story, a new Big Bird's Road Trip (Puerto Rico), the Anything Muppets sing "Spanish Me, English Me", Big Bird and Abelardo sing the "ABCs" in Spanish and Elmo the Musical ("Iguana the Musical").

If you saw "A Very Special Fiesta" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Fine, I guess. With no long middle segment, they allow the street plot to go a smidge longer. Felt a little like plots from the olden days. And it is never not nice to see Gladys.

And surprise appearance by Abelardo!

Interesting they redid the vocals for "Spanish Me, English Me" (99% sure that was Frankie Cordero). I guess they felt having a white guy sing about being Spanish wasn't cool (but I mean, would kids even care?).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So this week, interlacing was the issue - it looked like they tried converting from 30fps to 24fps, which will result in interlacing (converting from 60fps doesn't have that issue).

Unless I missed something, is this the first time they've ever counted in Spanish beyong 10?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Unless I missed something, is this the first time they've ever counted in Spanish beyong 10?
Apparently not - they did it in at least Episode 0502 and 4269 (the Murray the Magician bit).

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I liked how they made Rudy knowledgeable about Spanish, it shows that they're trying to show there's more to him than being Abby's brother. Pam gave a nice performance of the penguin. Why did they replace Matt's vocals for Spanish Me, English Me? There was nothing wrong with them. The bit with Big Bird and Abeleardo is the first real random Muppet insert since the show went 30 minutes long, so that was nice.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The street story was longer and felt more complete, and they were able to fit more segments into the episode without Monster Foodies being there. Its amazing how such a little change can make a big difference. Personally hearing them talk about fiesta vs. siesta made me want them to do the song about that, but oh well. The remake of that penguin dance song was a nice surprise.
I wonder who voiced Rosita's abuela in this. This must be like her third voice?

I always love me some Lin Manuel, so I really like Spanish Me, English Me. Kind of reminiscent of his In The Heights songs.
And I mean, I guess kids wouldn't care that a white guy originally did the vocals but, but never underestimate the power of the angry Facebook mom, lol.
I think I prefer Matt's vocals though. I will say, I do think Frankie's vocals sound more childlike here.

Last edited:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"A Very Special Fiesta" premieres on PBS this Monday January 25. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The street story was longer and felt more complete, and they were able to fit more segments into the episode without Monster Foodies being there. Its amazing how such a little change can make a big difference. Personally hearing them talk about fiesta vs. siesta made me want them to do the song about that, but oh well. The remake of that penguin dance song was a nice surprise.
I wonder who voiced Rosita's abuela in this. This must be like her third voice?

I always love me some Lin Manuel, so I really like Spanish Me, English Me. Kind of reminiscent of his In The Heights songs.
And I mean, I guess kids wouldn't care that a white guy originally did the vocals but, but never underestimate the power of the angry Facebook mom, lol.
I think I prefer Matt's vocals though. I will say, I do think Frankie's vocals sound more childlike here.
Actually the "fiesta/siesta" song idea was taken by "Garfield & Friends." Sumba La bumba, Aye curumba!