Sesame Street Season 48 Episode 4801 - A Sesame Street Thanksgiving

What do you think of the new Cookie's Foodie Truck segment?

• Total voters

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score

He's 83, so he's held off retirement for a long time. (Fran Brill retired in her 60's) But he still visits the set frequently. Even though he's not performing. I'm glad that he's still involved by supporting Matt, Eric and his fellow muppeteers. However, even though he really just retired, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he reprises his roles for something special regarding the 50th anniversary of Sesame Street. Also, he still performs Oscar sporadically for various live appearances.
I think there's a chance we might see him with Oscar at the Henson Company event next Spring. We'll just have to wait and see. So I don't think he's completely done with Big Bird and Oscar just yet. They're always going to be a big part of him. But we have we have Eric and Matt to fill in until then.

As for Matt. I don't really see why we can't complain about him. The character would be better served with another performer. It just doesn't feel like Big Bird the same way Eric's Oscar feels like Oscar or Stephanie's Prairie Dawn feels like Fran Brill's Prairie. It seems like a different character whereas even when Caroll did him for the Julia episode I could still see the same BB that asked about Mr. Hooper, ran away from the Dodo's, etc. I don't see any of that Big Bird in Matt's performance.

I know I felt the same way when Fran Brill retired, as well as Frank Oz (If Jim were still alive I'm sure he would be retired as well). But it's a different show now. It doesn't feel like a real neighborhood anymore. A neighborhood where muppets where just a small part of a community with real people that went through experiences like hurricanes, grief, adoption, etc. A place that you felt like you could visit and knock on Oscar's trash can and he'd be there. It feels too surreal, too trendy, too random. I miss the episodes that focused on a community at it's core. Not just a spot where a celebrity could play some random, one off, trendy, unrealistic character. The street itself has less of a presence. It feels like an empty shell of what it used to be.
But is still at least performing in some episodes of the new season?

cahuenga

Reaction score
One of the Below The frame episodes from last season ,was dedicated to Caroll Spinney, who was at the time (season 48 tapings) recording an episode .So I think we will heard his performances this season, and even see a cameo from him.

HiHo3892

Reaction score
One of the Below The frame episodes from last season ,was dedicated to Caroll Spinney, who was at the time (season 48 tapings) recording an episode .So I think we will heard his performances this season, and even see a cameo from him.
I hope you're right. But Matt said he was just visiting. Fran Brill and Bob Mcgrath visit the set sometimes as well. Caroll visits quite frequently though.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Is this the first time Alan's Japanese-American heritage was actually mentioned on the show? I know it's common knowledge with fans and behind-the-scenes, but I can't remember the show ever actually calling it to attention.
I wondered about that too. That was the first I heard it referenced on the show.

I wouldn't count on it, but I sure hope so. He'll still be in repeats (that's why he's credited.)
Yeah. I was going to mention that as well, plus Carroll's BB and Oscar will probably be heard in inserts from earlier seasons.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"A Sesame Street Thanksgiving" premieres on PBS this Monday November 19. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.