Seeing as Mean Mama

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I was thinking about yesterday.

It looks like most of the full bodied monsters performers see through a hole in their mouths. This was confirmed with Sweetums and looks for be the case with Timmy, Doglion, and The Mutations. I always assumed it was the case with the full-bodied Mean Mama, but then I realized, her lower mouth covers a lot of her mouth. It's built a bit like Beaker's mouth. Maybe there is a hole in her mouth, but I think the lower jaw would cover that. A performer might see out, but would mainly be seeing up, what's lower ahead would be blocked.

I wonder how a performer wearing Mean Mama could see where they were going. Did they look out of her neck? I doubt there was a camera strapped to their chests like Big Bird or Thog, and I doubt Henson came up with the "Gorg Vision" method back then.

CL1FFXD

Reaction score
Huh, im not sure, but i know that Mean Mama's kinda different from the other Muppet monsters because she’s appeared as a full-bodied AND a hand puppet Muppet. Episode 217 of The Muppet Show is when she was seen as full body for the first time while her debut was in episode 201. So maybe most of her preformances were hand-puppet while the minor ones were full-body.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, the puppet version was used more often. Just about all of the full bodied version’s appearances were as a group of monsters, with no notable solo performances with a guest star, no vocal appearances (well, I think she makes a chuckle in the Leslie Uggams episode).