Ruth Buzzi suffered many strokes recently

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Just found this out on Facebook today, and it breaks my heart to read this. :frown:

During my heyday of watching Sesame Street, I remember a film segment in which an African-American girl asks a woman where potatoes come from. The two females travel to a potato field and the girl learns the source of the potatoes, and in the end the woman was interested in finding out where tomatoes come from. I was not aware until a few months ago when I discovered on a source outside Muppet Wiki that Ruth Buzzi was the woman in the short film.

Hopefully Ruth will take action or she may end up being the third Sesame Street cast member to pass away this year (we lost the actors who played Luis and the original Gordon so far in 2022). Ruth played Ruthie, the owner of the "Finders Keepers" shop, from 1993 to 1999.

Last edited:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
At this point I don’t think she has much time left in all honesty.
Wouldn't surprise me if she passes away before the month is out, considering the number of strokes she suffered - and devastating ones at that.

hooperfan

Reaction score
During my heyday of watching Sesame Street, I remember a film segment in which an African-American girl asks a woman where potatoes come from. The two females travel to a potato field and the girl learns the source of the potatoes, and in the end the woman was interested in finding out where tomatoes come from. I was not aware until a few months ago when I discovered on a source outside Muppet Wiki that Ruth Buzzi was the woman in the short film.

Hopefully Ruth will take action or she may end up being the third Sesame Street cast member to pass away this year (we lost the actors who played Luis and the original Gordon so far in 2022). Ruth played Ruthie, the owner of the "Finders Keepers" shop, from 1993 to 1999.
The original Gordon passed away around 20 years ago

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
At this point I don’t think she has much time left in all honesty.
Yeah. All the great ones seem to leaving us. In the immortal words of Salem Saberhagen: (sob)(sob)(sob)

we lost the actors who played Luis and the original Gordon so far in 2022
Actually, Matt Robinson passed away a while ago or did you mean Garrett Saunders who played him in the test shows?

Interesting to note that she appeared on SS before she was a regular, depending on how old that film was I mean.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Actually, Matt Robinson passed away a while ago or did you mean Garrett Saunders who played him in the test shows?
They probably meant Hal Miller, who died 5 years ago but we didn’t know until recently.

hooperfan

Reaction score
Yeah. All the great ones seem to leaving us. In the immortal words of Salem Saberhagen: (sob)(sob)(sob)

Interesting to note that she appeared on SS before she was a regular, depending on how old that film was I mean.
I don't think Ruth was in that 70s clip, just another woman that looks similar

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
They probably meant Hal Miller, who died 5 years ago but we didn’t know until recently.
Hal's dead too? Must be a thing with guys who played Gordon. I'll bet Roscoe feels pretty blessed to have been around as long as he has. :smile:

BTW, I checked the news on Ruth and it seems like she's doing better. You can't really tell with strokes because my girlfriend had a stroke last August and a seizure the following month, but we didn't really know it was a stroke she had until she was tested in October, so that might be the case for Ruth, having the doctors be aware of what's going on. Just my theory there.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Dick Clark suffered a massive stroke in 2004 and was unable to host New Year's Rockin' Eve that year. He did better (albeit with slurred speech) in 2005 and returned to his hosting of the ABC special, but he appeared for only about 1% of the special, and Ryan Seacrest took over the remaining 99%. Clark died of a massive heart attack in April 2012 - it came out of nowhere. He seemed to have done quite well when he hosted the new year's special in 2011, and that was his milestone 40th anniversary special.

The same thing may happen to Ruth Buzzi at some point, but when it could happen is anybody's guess.