Running MTI CD-rom game

vonpookie

Reaction score
Howdy!

I wasn't sure if this was the correct forum area to post this in so if it isn't, please forgive me :smile:

I just received my copy of the Muppet Treasure Island PC game (hooray for eBay).

It was made to run on Win95, but I'm currently running it on a laptop with XP. No problem, compatibility mode to the rescue.

The game is running fine, however I can't seem to get it to stay in 640x480 resolution. It's set up to run in compatibility mode (Windows 95/256-color/640x480), and the first time I run the game after installing, it runs everything in the lower resolution correctly.

When I quit the game and come back to it and it shows the new game/load game options, it starts up fine and switches the resolution, but when it starts up the program that runs the game it switches back to my normal resolution and the game itself is just running in a little square in the middle of the screen.

I have set the compatibility mode options for both the Treasure.exe file and the MTPLAY32.EXE which I believe is the engine running the games/videos, but it still switches back.

Any ideas? Again, it's not a major problem, just a general nitpicking on my part.

vonpookie

Reaction score
I believe I found a way!

Forget compatibility mode--it works great for other games, but doesn't seem to be working so well for MTI (as described above).

I just discovered that I can force Windows to run in 640x480, 256-color by using the the 'list all modes' in the display adapter settings and selecting the option there.

The game (and Windows) then runs in 640x480 resolution and will do so until you change it back to normal yourself.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
If you ever get tired of that game let me know.

vonpookie

Reaction score
Oh, I doubt I'll be getting rid of it. Sorry? :wink:

However, we found it on eBay going for about $3 in the one auction we bid on. I saw some other copies on there as well. Shouldn't be hard to find a copy, I would think.