Rowlf Rumors

mupcollector1

Reaction score
There's a few rumors that I heard about Rowlf that just came to my mind.

One being some film in the 60s, I think it was a TV apperance and Rowlf's ear fell off and Rowlf makes an ad-lib joke about it. Any one ever heard of this? Was this a Jimmy Dean apperance?

I've seen footage of Rowlf on CBS This Morning in 1989 where he mentioned that he's said SOB. But there's a rumor that he was on The Arsenio Hall Show making a dog joke by shouting out "Son of a B****".

Did either of these actually happen? Just curious, I've heard about these a few times.

Hubert

Reaction score
I looked to see if I could find anything about the ear one, and I found this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/excerpts/2003-04-28-wisdom-big-bird_x.htm

In it is an excerpt of Caroll Spinney's "Wisdom of Big Bird" book, where he says:

The previous festival I had attended was in 1963 at a small resort hotel in the Catskills. I had driven there in my troublesome Volkswagen bus with only fourteen dollars in my pocket. Too broke to register as a participant, I had to sneak in to all the shows. There were lots of hilarious acts with both hand puppets and marionettes. Jim Henson performed, and he introduced his wonderful dog puppet, Rowlf. The dog was so new, his ear, which was only pinned on, fell off during his performance. Rowlf spoke of his deep philosophy using one of his fleas to make a point.
It's not a TV appearance, but maybe this is what you heard about?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I just really like the way the phrase "Rowlf Rumors" sounds. Reminds me of some sort of tabloid headline.

"Rowlf the Dog caught checking into hotel with unidentified afghan hound!"