Random Thoughts: Season Two of TMS

charlietheowl

Reaction score
So I've finally finished another season of The Muppet Show, and since I don't have any more finals this week, here are some disconnected thoughts on the second season.

• There is a large increase in quality from the first to second seasons; the backstage plots are sharper, the comedy gags and numbers are alternately more ludicrous and well-developed, and the characters continue to be modified and expanded. This is evident in just watching the Don Knotts episode, which contains three smash-up songs in "Windmills", "What A Wonderful World" and "Lullaby of Birdland".
  • Love how Zero Mostel acts with Sam the Eagle, though it was a little strange at the end of the episode when he attempts to kiss (?) him. Sam's character is definitely fleshed out a lot more this season, as he gets a lot more to do.
  • Rich Little was terrifically terrible, as his brand of comedy, reliant on impressions, is inherently selfish (LOOK AT ME I CAN SOUND LIKE X), so his bits fall flat (the news sketch is awful), but everything is redeemed by Gonzo and the chickens.
  • Judy Collins' musical numbers are a little too long. I get the fact that "The Old Lady" is supposed to go on for an eternity, but it didn't need to be that long. Plus, regardless of how good her vocal was, "Send In The Clowns" was creepy because of the clowns.
  • Combining Veterinarian's Hospital with At The Dance for a sketch is emblematic of the more developed plots running into the show; I liked seeing Fozzie's struggled with running the show.
  • That brick looked like a pretty tough opponent for Gonzo.
  • I know it is generally regarded as one of the show's highlights, but I found the Steve Martin episode to be a bit of a disappointment. The audition aspect was humorous, but most of the main characters just sat on the sidelines for the entire episode, leaving one-shots to have to carry the load.
  • I love the Swedish Chef sketches this season, especially since a high amount of then end up with gunfire or other assorted explosions. Bon appetite!
  • Fleet Scribbler is ugly.
  • "Don't Blame The Dynamite" is really funny and sharp. I wish the Mayhem were given the chance to have more band-only numbers during this season (perhaps they get some more in the later ones).
  • I love seeing Robin's character get expanded in the Bernadette Peters episode, mainly because "Just One Person" is so pretty and hearing him belt out "They Call The Wind Maria" is hilarious. I like how he goes from sensitive to fame-hungry in a matter of minutes, lol.
  • The costumes broken out for the Elton John episode are great, especially Sam's.
  • Seeing Link with a real pig is really odd, but still cute.
  • Bruce Schwartz's puppetry is technically impressive, but didn't fit in with the Muppets at all. His acts had no opportunity for humor or really any sort of emotion, it was just technical prowess to plaster up a soft musical number.
  • If someone can tell me what "When You Were A Tadpole" is about, I'd really appreciate it, because all I can come up with is that Julie Andrews evolved from a fish.
  • "English Country Garden" is the best UK Spot ever! I love seeing two legends of song go at it, especially the "hatless" but. Jim Henson and Frank Oz had their timing down perfectly there.
  • Like how Nigel gets his token appearance in the Jaye P. Morgan episode. Didn't realize he was such a good whistler.
  • Peter Sellers' masseuse sketch was really creepy. I kept waiting for a punch-line aside from the German impression and Link being pulled around, but nothing came up.
  • How in the world do you hire Petula Clark to be a guest and then NOT have her sing "Downtown"?
  • "He bowls overhand."
  • In the opening and closing numbers of Teresa Brewer's episode, she doesn't interact with a single Muppet. Methinks she might have been one of the reluctant guest stars like Harvey Korman.
  • Robin and Sweetums! Too cute!
  • The visual of Gonzo initially taking the spoon to the wall was inexplicably hilarious to me for some reason, so I'll credit that to Dave Goelz's puppetry skills.
Now onto to season three!

Hayley B

Reaction score
All that just comes into my mind right now is that I love that format of the Muppet Show Theme song. 1st & 4th season are my least favorite. But it's like hey, 1st couldn't help but being 1st.

Also, Animal gets my 100% attention out of all the Muppets. I loved the episode where he was trying to find a hobby. At the end I want to question him now about wanting a "small bunny rabbit". My question would be - Would you want a small bunny rabbit to keep or to shoot? :laugh:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Rich Little was terrifically terrible, as his brand of comedy, reliant on impressions, is inherently selfish (LOOK AT ME I CAN SOUND LIKE X), so his bits fall flat
As others have said before I got the impression he just wasn't that familiar with the characters, which makes sense since this was only Season 2 and Season 1 had to struggle a bit to get noticed.

I know it is generally regarded as one of the show's highlights, but I found the Steve Martin episode to be a bit of a disappointment. The audition aspect was humorous, but most of the main characters just sat on the sidelines for the entire episode, leaving one-shots to have to carry the load.
True but it's worth it just to hear Richard Hunt laughing, lol.

If someone can tell me what "When You Were A Tadpole" is about, I'd really appreciate it, because all I can come up with is that Julie Andrews evolved from a fish.
First just let me say I love this song, lol. Despite the evolution reference (which is pretty impressive actually!), I think it's pretty standard, it's admiring someone for a very long time, watching them grow and develop and hoping that that person cares for you too.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
First just let me say I love this song, lol. Despite the evolution reference (which is pretty impressive actually!), I think it's pretty standard, it's admiring someone for a very long time, watching them grow and develop and hoping that that person cares for you too.
I thought that's what it might have been about, but I was too distracted by the whole fish references to fully grasp it. Julie Andrews really did sell the song, though.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
As others have said before I got the impression he just wasn't that familiar with the characters, which makes sense since this was only Season 2 and Season 1 had to struggle a bit to get noticed.
Hahaha... Under the "impression" of impressionist Rich Little being unfamiliar with the characters... Haha....:laugh:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
[*]Love how Zero Mostel acts with Sam the Eagle, though it was a little strange at the end of the episode when he attempts to kiss (?) him. Sam's character is definitely fleshed out a lot more this season, as he gets a lot more to do.
I think he was trying to eat Sam.

charlietheowl said:
[*]Combining Veterinarian's Hospital with At The Dance for a sketch is emblematic of the more developed plots running into the show; I liked seeing Fozzie's struggled with running the show.
Too bad this episode came between the episodes where new performers were auditioning and when Louise Gold officially got hired. We only get two couples dancing there (in addition to Rowlf and Janice eventually dancing). I guess it's good that the patient was just laying there. This one could have benefited from more performers (the episode with Bernadette Peters seems to have 7 performers).

charlietheowl said:
  • "Don't Blame The Dynamite" is really funny and sharp. I wish the Mayhem were given the chance to have more band-only numbers during this season (perhaps they get some more in the later ones).
I didn't quite notice that they weren't given more of their own numbers this season. Though now that I think about it, it seems the majority of Mayhem-only numbers were in the first season. After this they seem to be stuck as back-up with only a few of their own numbers (not counting solos from different members). I've noticed in season 3 we rarely see the whole band together, and it's even more rare for Dr. Teeth to appear. I also wish more Electric Mayhem numbers were in season 5, with the addition of Lips, but the band seems to only do three numbers to themselves (if Fifty Ways toLeave Your Lover counts... Dr. Teeth, Zoot, and Lips are all absent from that song).

charlietheowl said:
  • Seeing Link with a real pig is really odd, but still cute.
I wonder how they did the scenes with Link holding a pig and Rowlf holding a puppy. Seems it'd be hard to just hold a small animal above your head like that, especially for so long.

charlietheowl said:
  • Bruce Schwartz's puppetry is technically impressive, but didn't fit in with the Muppets at all. His acts had no opportunity for humor or really any sort of emotion, it was just technical prowess to plaster up a soft musical number.
I wonder if he performed any Muppet characters in this or his other appearance (the Senor Wenches episode). I know he was credited as an additional Muppet performer in The Muppet Movie.

charlietheowl said:
  • In the opening and closing numbers of Teresa Brewer's episode, she doesn't interact with a single Muppet. Methinks she might have been one of the reluctant guest stars like Harvey Korman.

I don't think so. After all, she had many of their autographs.

Borples

Reaction score
"English Country Garden" is the best UK Spot ever! I love seeing two legends of song go at it, especially the "hatless" but. Jim Henson and Frank Oz had their timing down perfectly there.

One of my favorites. "Modulate!" "What's that?" "You did it!" "Thank you! Whatever!"

Do you think that "hatless" was improvised? I think it must have been. You can hear Jim's laugh in Rowlf's voice when he sets Frank up for the obvious joke. Fozzie going "what?" as if Frank was giving himself time to come up with the proper response. It's brilliant either way, of course. I'm a sucker for the old jokes. :smile:

I enjoyed all your thoughts here! Looking forward to the next one.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
One of my favorites. "Modulate!" "What's that?" "You did it!" "Thank you! Whatever!"

Do you think that "hatless" was improvised? I think it must have been. You can hear Jim's laugh in Rowlf's voice when he sets Frank up for the obvious joke. Fozzie going "what?" as if Frank was giving himself time to come up with the proper response. It's brilliant either way, of course. I'm a sucker for the old jokes. :smile:

I enjoyed all your thoughts here! Looking forward to the next one.
I'd think that most of that number was improvised, and was done with a sort of guideline like "hey you guys are going to play this". It's clear that Frank and Jim had some impeccable timing down, like in the Muppet Movie driving test bits that are on YouTube.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I wonder how they did the scenes with Link holding a pig and Rowlf holding a puppy. Seems it'd be hard to just hold a small animal above your head like that, especially for so long.
I wonder if they sedated the animals a bit so they wouldn't move around a lot, especially in the case of the puppy, who looks like it's about to take a nap for most of the segment.