Question regarding the talking letter Muppets

SkyeFan

Reaction score
We've seen lots of talking letters appear from time to time on “Sesame Street”. Usually they would be performed with mouths (quite possibly elastic rubber bands) operated on thin and nearly invisible fishing lines. My question is, has anyone ever seen such letter puppets such as these on the show prior to season 5 or 6? The reason I ask such a question is because I had once mentioned several instances on this other PBS program (from around 1973 or 1974) called "The Letter People" where inspirations have seemed to originate from “Sesame Street”. One of them was in the episode "Meet Mr. B", there are these two talking letter B puppets, a capital B and a lowercase b, and they are performed the same way as the kind seen on “Sesame Street”. The reason why I believe these "elastic mouth" puppets originated on “Sesame Street” first (or else some other Muppet production) is because it seems very likely that Jim Henson had developed this kind of puppeteer technique at some point in his career. If not for talking letter Muppets, then maybe for some other kind of talking inanimate object characters in some other production.

Last edited:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
The only talking letter I vividly remember is the talking letter X from a late 1995 episode where the X wants to withdraw from the alphabet. Of course, I never saw the full episode, I happened to see a glimpse of it as I was surfing the channels.

But after giving it more thought, I remember there being a quick segment with talking letter Ts having a T party.