puppet theatre

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can you help me?

I need to make a puppet theatre. I would like it if I could stand up in it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make one?

Thanks,

Beauregard

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I'm just starting out finding different faciets of my talent, so I'm starting to test my puppetry ability, but I think there are several questions here.

What size do you intend to make it? Is it going to be tall or long? What kind of funds do you have? What kind of materials are you good with? How is it going to be displayed? Stuff like that.

If you want something cheap, and easy, I suggest taking a card board refrigerator box, cutting a large square hole out of it, and hot gluing stuff (cloth, etc) to it, so it doesn't look like a big card board refridgerator box with a big square cut out of it!

If you are good with wood working, know some one who is, or plan to visit a wood goods store, that raises more questions. If you have a plan, please post it and we'll see if we can help you.

goshposh

Reaction score
This is what I've used. First I had a refrigerator box that my dad cut a window in. Then I had a wooden stage that opened up. It was durable but very heavy and hard to move around. Now I use a stage made out of PVC pipe. Its light but durable.

Beauregard

Reaction score
What size do you intend to make it? Is it going to be tall or long? What kind of funds do you have? What kind of materials are you good with? How is it going to be displayed? Stuff like that
I wan't to make it quite big but not too big, Quite tall but not too tall, I have about £75 and I was thinking of Plumber Piping and cloth or somthing like that, It will want to be at the frount af a room but can also go in the street, and it will have to fit in a car.

Other than that I have no prefrances!!!!

Got to Go,
Beauregard

officermom

Reaction score
The VIP Puppet Company www.mwt.net/~jmrdc offers plans for a really nice PVC pipe and cloth puppet stage with several optional ideas. The plans are reasonably priced as are the materials. The plans are in US measurements but should be able to be easily converted. The whole thing breaks down and may be transported in a one-hand-to-carry "case" for which the plans are included. The plans can be e-mailed to you or sent on CD. Jim from VIP is a wonderful and helpful puppet person. (I am a satisfied customer quoted on the website. :smile: )

Hope this is helps.

Scrid

Reaction score
My stand-up puppet booth was constructed of 1 1/4" (or was it 1 1/2"?) PVC with fabric panels. It was 30" wide, and 18" deep. A curtain/scrim was 6" behind the front panel, and the fabric went over the top to the back, with a heavier cloth down to knee-height in the back. Having the panel in the back obscures the puppeteer, so you're not seen as a silhouette by the audience. The front bar was 9-12" above waist-level. It works, and allows me to perform standing up, with the puppets in front of me.