Puppet Building Help

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Hello--

I posted about this on the old forum, but I'm still working on the turtle puppet and could use some input from more experienced builders. (This is my first attempt at a foam puppet.) I am making this guy for my husband and it will be his first puppet.

The turtle works kind of like the turtle that wandered into Big Bird's nest on Sesame Street last week-- he walks on all fours like a real turtle. The puppeteer's hand goes in an opening around the middle of the body and comes out the neck, into the head (the idea is that the puppeteer can push his arm out farther, the way turtles can stretch out their necks, or retract it in toward the shell). Currently all the pieces are constructed but not attached to one another. My plan was to have the opening in the body be in the underside (the belly of the turtle). My husband thinks it might be better if it were to one side-- more comfortable to work the puppet. I'm afraid that might limit the puppet-- that he would have to be performed so only one side faced the audience (otherwise the arm going into the side of the body would look a bit odd).

What do you think? Has anyone worked with a puppet like this, where the arm positioning is a bit unusual? I'd love some advice!

Thanks!

matleo

Reaction score
I'd be iclined to agree with you. Either in throught he underbelly or of course the old standby....the butt!! Hope this helps.

--Matt

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Matleo

Thanks! I got a little time to work on him today and that's what I did-- in through the under belly. (There's a little pointy tail at the butt.) Now I just have to cover and attach the shell.....