"Paul Williams: Still Alive" talkback thread

Princeton

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to see the Paul Williams documentary about a month ago and I am sorry to say that I did not enjoy it. Throughout the entire film, Williams berates and backtalks the interviewer/director. I consider this to be unacceptable behavior for two reasons: A) The director is basically introducing Williams to a new generation of fans, and B) Before this film was made, Williams' main source of income (apart from royalties) was appearing at drug/alcohol abuse rehab functions, which are obviously noble causes, but I think it's safe to say that appearing in this film did more for him financially than anything else. Taking these two reasons into account, I'm a little disgusted at the ingratitude and disrepect Williams exhibited throughout the film. So I'd love to hear any opinions, good or bad, from anyone who has seen this film.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I saw this film a few months back on cable. There were parts I really enjoyed about it, and others I didn't. But I have to politely disagree with you: I think Paul had every right to be grumpy with the director. He was such a fan boy, and it showed throughout. There's nothing wrong with making a film of someone you grew up with/enjoyed your whole life (more power to him) but there were a few moments in there that really were inappropriate for him to be filming: the financial discussion at lunch when Paul told him not to film it, making him sit and watch old footage of him when he was a raging alcoholic when clearly it was a time of his life he didn't wish to look back on, etc.

I think Paul was a standup guy in the end by letting the director not only make a film about him, but allowed him to stay at his home and gave him a box of old videotapes he had in storage.