Pattern's for round head.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Thanks to alot of post, i did find wedges int he past to make the foam base, but how can i go over that with fabrick? I've made my own attempt at it and its not working out lol. He looks as if he has stiches on his head and under his chin.

How can i find a pattern? I'd like to beable to learn how to hide the "stiches", or sewn lines, the best possible way in the future.

P.S. my character was based on grover's head. I dont have fur on him, nor is he blue. But he has the two half circle head and chin.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hey CoOKiE! We're doing a tutorial on adding facial features to your puppet characters at Project Puppet, that covers that very subject - creating a fabric pattern based on a foam understructure.

Check it out on the Project Puppet Blog!

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Thank you but maybe i don't understand... but i'm looking to see how i can get a pattern for a round head. I'm not adding features. I just have to figure out a way to hide the seams and make it neater then how i did it.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
It's rare that you'll find a tutorial for *exactly* what you need to do...you have to apply the general to the specific and experiment a bit. What you want to do is "drape" the head with fabric. Have a look at the tutorial Bezalel is doing and also part 5 of this one; they both do a very good job of explaining the basics of how to figure out a pattern for a foam shape.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Thank you. I did it that way as well.. without pins, i glued my way through lol. But now i have more ideas next time around. Thank you.

CPR PUPPET

Reaction score
What I have done was used the foam head pattern for the fleece covering,but oversize it. Copy it to the inside of the fleece (two pieces pinned together,making sure the good sides are in as you will turn it inside out when your done.) about 3/16 of inch larger. Then sew them together. Cut just outside of your stitch when your done and turn it inside out. Now the 3/16 addition may be a little snug or tight. This is somthing you will have to experament with depending on fabrics. All inall you should be happy with the end result.
I hope this helps.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
does it work with hiding the stiches? thats my main concern right now

CPR PUPPET

Reaction score
Yes the stiches are hidden because youve tuned it inside out.