Observation about Statler and Waldorf

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I was given the Season One dvd TMS collection for last Christmas by my brother and watching the episodes made me think about a point I've always noted about our two favourite hecklers :boo: and :sleep:
Of course the big running gag of the entire series was that these two old gentlemen couldn't stand the show at the theater and yet they never failed to attend the show every episode in their reserved double box seats, except for occasional special exceptions.
But it seems to me that their hatred of the show only became most prominent from season two onwards. Yes it is obvious that they're supposed to hate it even though they go to it right from the beginning. However they seem more relaxed in season one nevertheless.
I mean despite the occasionally negative comment about a particular individual act they really don't seem to mind the show all that much.
If anything I must admit Statler shows overall far more negativity toward season one's shows than Waldorf. But when season two comes they are equally negative about it.
But one final point I can think of is that you cannot deny that they do enjoy their time fighting with Fozzie during his monologue.
After the first season Fozzie's monologue grew less and less regular so maybe that was the real reason why they kept subjecting themselves to TMS. So they could hopefully have a chance to heckle him and bring a little sunshine to their old age:wink:
So what do you think about my thoughts?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I guess they were old men with nothing better to do than attend a TV show they didn't like and ended up like it I guess.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Old people love to complain about a lot of things. :smile:

I guess that's why Statler and Waldorf came to the show every time, just to complain.

ryan

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
WHY DO WE ALWAYS COME HERE?
I GUESS WE'LL NEVER KNOW!
IT'S LIKE A KIND OF TORTURE
TO HAVE TO WATCH THE SHOW!
Masochists of the world eat your hearts out.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Well one time Waldorf's wife came to the show with him using Statler's ticket.
I suppose Statler spent that evening at home with his wife.Heh Heh

superboober

Reaction score
I think that's probably quite likely, in fact. Otherwise I'd think they'd start getting critical of each other.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Never thought of it that way, but that makes sense. XD Anyone have a picture of Astoria perhaps?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
ReneeLouvier said:
Never thought of it that way, but that makes sense. XD Anyone have a picture of Astoria perhaps?
Actually for Astoria they just simply used the Statler puppet dressed up in women's clothing and given a feminine voice.
Perhaps that is what inspired the above comment about their being married to each other's sister. Family resemblance:smirk: