no making of first three Muppet movies

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Throughout the 1980s, Jim Henson worked on behind-the-scenes specials for many of his productions (TMS, FR, TDC, L), and there were also behind-the-scenes books for his productions, but I wonder why he never worked on any behind-the-scenes specials for the first three Muppet movies, or even approve opf any behind-the-scenes books (the closest we got was The Art of The Great Muppet Caper, but that was behind-the-sceens from the Muppets point of view). The movies all had special effects that should have been caught on film, or explained in print. I don't know if it's a case of Jim Henson not thinking to have such behind-the-sceens specials produced, or if he just wasn't interested, or if the networks just didn't want to broadcast a behind-the-scenes special for the Muppets (I've read that a lot of people expected TMM to fail). I have a feeling that no behind-the-sceens fotage was even shot (but if behind-the-sceens footage was shot, and still exists, then Disney should put together anniversary editions of the movies on DVDs, with this footage).

David French

Reaction score
Throughout the 1980s, Jim Henson worked on behind-the-scenes specials for many of his productions (TMS, FR, TDC, L), and there were also behind-the-scenes books for his productions, but I wonder why he never worked on any behind-the-scenes specials for the first three Muppet movies, or even approve opf any behind-the-scenes books (the closest we got was The Art of The Great Muppet Caper, but that was behind-the-sceens from the Muppets point of view). The movies all had special effects that should have been caught on film, or explained in print. I don't know if it's a case of Jim Henson not thinking to have such behind-the-sceens specials produced, or if he just wasn't interested, or if the networks just didn't want to broadcast a behind-the-scenes special for the Muppets (I've read that a lot of people expected TMM to fail). I have a feeling that no behind-the-sceens fotage was even shot (but if behind-the-sceens footage was shot, and still exists, then Disney should put together anniversary editions of the movies on DVDs, with this footage).
You have to place this type of thing in its context; "Making of" specials for TV & Film were almost unheard of in the late 1970's/early 1980's. In fact it wasn't really until the mid to late 1990's that they started to become more common.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Oh. I didn't know that. But weren't there a lot of making of books back then?

David French

Reaction score
Oh. I didn't know that. But weren't there a lot of making of books back then?
Not very many; it wasn't really until at least the mid to late 1980's that such books started to come out, and even then they were usually about TV shows that had been running for years or ones that had finished years ago.