New movies coming out...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, there's no point in remaking BTTF at ALL... There's no use for even a sequel. I wish they'd take the Ghostbusters route and make a video game that tried to get the entire cast back. And if they can't get Michael J Fox (due to his unfortunate ailment), the cartoon voice actor was pretty close. Christopher Lloyd shouldn't be too hard to get. he's just such an underrated actors these days. Other than Cyberchase and that one episode of Numbers, he isn't doing all that much.... and I'm sad to say that his house was lost in the California fires recently.

Gremlins just couldn't be remade as simply either. Especially since the second one turned into a comedy flick (that even had a cameo by Bugs and Daffy).

However, I do like the idea of reboots. I think that that's what the Batman movie franchise needed. The third one was boarderline campy, and the fourth one was just a joke with all that stunt casting (which is why I'm glad that Cher isn't playing Catwoman in the next one). Now, if Superman's reboot enjoyed that kind of success.... (not that I'm that big a Superman fan)

Pork

Reaction score
I heard that somebody is redoing "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Is this true?

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I don't really care what people think about the star trek movie, I am a Trekkie and I am pysched just that it's coming out :big_grin:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yes but that debate started 20 years ago with people in their 40's who grew up on the old series and did not care for the Next Generation series. Even several of the actors of the original series, like James Doohan who played Scotty, did not give the series a chance until they finally sat down and wathed it and liked it. (Although his arguement sounds like mine with this new trek movie)
Ouch. Are you saying I'm old? :wink:
James Doohan not only didn't want to give it a chance (and if I recall Leonard Nimoy didn't either according to I Am Spock) ... both of these actors still ended up on the show as their characters. A paycheck is a paycheck. I'm not aware of DeForest Kelley's outlook, but even he was in the pilot.

Anywho, I am a big fan of LOST and I can't wait to see this. Yes, there's the opportunity this may stink, but I'm willing to give it a chance since the last movie IIRC was a TNG knockoff of the infinitely better Wrath of Khan (though it had its good points too).

Don't get me wrong ... I liked Jaws. I even liked the silliness that was the 3rd one simply because I got a kick out of thinking I could be in danger at Sea World. Would have preferred seeing a battle between Jaws and Shamu, though. :big_grin: But this movie only made sense until sharks started ending up on the endangered species list, and even then it was a stretch. "Revenge" just isn't in a shark's vocabulary. Of course, if you decide to look at the 3rd and 4th ones as what happens when HUMANS start getting irrational about tragic events, it is a little better. Even the author of the book regretted writing it. THAT should tell you something. It is cinematic history, but the plot is still unrealistic and stupid.

I'll be honest, the only movies I'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to are Muppets and Fraggle Rock. Harry Potter to a certain extent. I also want to see Transformers 2 (just to see more Starscream ... sigh....). But my priorities lie in Muppets and Fraggle Rock.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Yups. The remake stars Keanu Reeves as Klaatu, Jennifer Connelly, John Cleese and Kathy Bates.

It opens on December 12
I saw that preview. I don't know if it's going to be good or not.

To tell everyone the truth, most movies now a days are pretty down right bad, even the blockbusters that are shelled out over the summer.

I might have to take up watching more art house movies....:excited:

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
I've seen a couple trailers for 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'. Not very promising. I think it's safe to say that any hard-core sci-fi fan would consider the original a mile-stone in science-fiction films and this just goes to show that Hollywood has little/no rescpect for good concepts. The new plot sounds pretty stupid. In the original: Aliens see us as a potential threat to the rest of the universe so they simply give us a warning. In the new one: Aliens decide to wipe out humanity to preserve the Earth. So it goes from being a message of peace, to enivronmental propaganda.