Muppets In New York???

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Finally after waiting for about the past twleve years I am actually taking a trip to New York City from the UK for 5 nights in about two weeks time!

I am hoping you guys may be able to help me make the most of my time there, especially with regards to Muppets and all things Henson??

If anyone out there, lives or visits New York and know of some Muppety things, please post here and let me know. Where to shop, where is selling Muppet Products at the moment??

Are there any Muppet exhibits, or museums that have any Muppet/Henson characters on display in New York?

What are the addresses of the Jim Henson Company, do they still have New York offices, Id still love to see the Muppet Workshop even if its no longer used??

Any ideas at all about places or products in New York, I would be very interested.

Many Thanks

Chris

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Museum of Television and Radio in Manhattan has a huge Muppet collection available for viewing:

Episodes of The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, Ghost of Faffner Hall, Jim Henson Hour

Specials: Just about all the Christmas specials, John Denver Rocky Mountain Holiday, Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years, Muppets Go to Hollywood, Muppets Go to the Movies, Tale of the Bunny Picnic, Behind the Scenes specials like "Henson's Place," "Of Muppets and Men," and "Down in Fraggle Rock." Also award show appearances.

Rare Items: The Great Santa Claus Switch (only aired once on TV in the '60s), the 60 Minutes interviews and unsold pilots like Tale of Tinkerdee and Puppetman (the latter featuring Richard Hunt, it's a great find!)

Anyway, yeah I'd stop by there. :smile: Here is their website: www.MTR.org

Stulz

Reaction score
New York Muppets

In addition to the MTR museum, I would check out these places:

World of Disney Store on 5th Ave. They had a few things last time I was there.

FAO Swartz 5th Ave. where they filmed Big with Tom Hanks. More Sesame then Muppet stuff.

Central Park (where they filmed segments of Muppets Take Manhattan)

The old Henson Brownstone is only a few blocks off the park. I think it's 12 and CP west. But, I would double check that with others before wandering around NYC in Dec. looking for it.

and I would also look up collectable or used toy stores, I found a few rare henson items in NY that way.

and try Toys R Us in Time Square. They had a few Muppet action figures there. But it's also just fun to see. Trust me. go to FAo then go to Toys R us and you'll see the mega toy store competion like you've never seen before.

muppetperson

Reaction score
The Jim Henson Company is now located at
627 Broadway, 9th floor
New York NY 10012
Dont know if it is open to the public.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I don't remember the exact address (I'm sure someone else here knows it), but at 205 E. 67th Street was WNEW-TV. If you were facing the TV studio (North), the Muppet Workshop was to the left and the brownstone offices were to the right.

Although, they also worked in the brownstone. That's where I met Don Sahlin and saw Kermit Love rebuilding the Snuffleupagus. That was on the second floor and Jim's office was on the third floor. If you knew what to look for from the street, it used to be easy to spot... there was a stained glass Ernie and Bert in one of the upper windows.

:stick_out_tongue:

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info you have supplied.

So are there no exhibits or museums at all with Henson chracters on display, What about Oscar?? The Smithonian, or is that not in NY??

I had heard about the TV Museum, I have a LOT of Muppets stuff on tape but may pop by there, would like to see Little Muppet Monsters!!

It seems merchandise is a little scarce?? I will of course try Toys-R-Us and FAO Schwartz, maybe see if I can find a Target too as they have new stuff in, does Carlton Cards still have any stuff in them?? I have also heard that there is a Forbidden Planet store in NY? Of course Disney store I will look in too.

Does anyone know of any second hand/collector stores or markets in NY??

I have the Jim Henson studios old Muppet Workshop address on an old Press Pack, so I will look it up. If they are currently on the 9th floor of a new building, does that mean you cannot get to them, is there a main reception to get past!!

Thanks again,

Chris

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh no... The collection of museums known as The Smithsonian are located in Washington D.C., hope this helps.

Stulz

Reaction score
Smithsonian

Sorry man, but yeah the Smithsonian American History Museum is in D.C. not NY.

It's a shame your trip wasn't during the summer, they had a great Henson exhibit there along with Oscar and the original Sesame Street sign that are on permanent dsplay.

Unfourtunately though, the museum closed at the end of September for remodelling and won't open agian for another 5- 7 years!

travellingpat

Reaction score
Dude, have fun

you could always visit the Sesame Studio but of course you cant get in so i dont know how much fun that would be and its pretty far out of the city so....

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Great News posted over at http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/

A new Saturday morning TV Exhibit will be on display at the Museum of Comics and Cartoon Art, including many items from the Muppet Babies Series, OK its not the Classic Muppets but at least its something I can look at!! It started yesterday, (SAT18TH NOV) and runs til next year.

Oh, I will also be enjoying the sights and landmarks of New York, its not gonna be 100% Muppets hunting, well maybe 99%, lol.

Chris.