Muppet Vision 3D 2.0 Coming Soon to Disney Parks?

TheMonsterAteMe

Reaction score
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=688969

It's a rumor going around right now.. but I'm very conflicted about this.

It would be really cool to see what Disney could do. But this was Jim Henson's last work. The last time we saw the chemistry of Jim and Frank together. And one of the last works of Richard Hunt. I'm just not sure if it's worth it..

Fraggline

Reaction score
If they're updating MuppetVision3D, then YESSS!:smile: I've been worrying that, with all the changes at Disney's California Adventure, they would get rid of it there. This is great!
But yeah, you're right. It was his last work...and it should be respected. It was and has always been a good show.

Dearth

Reaction score
My gut reaction is that this is a bad idea, and I hope the rumor turns out to be false. But it seems that in the world of theme park management, bad ideas are the very ones that sometimes really take hold when they're trying to prove how ground-breaking they can be.

Muppet*Vision 3-D works. It worked in 1991 when I saw it for the first time, and it worked in 2007 the next time I saw it. My kids loved it, and my theme-park-novice wife was firmly convinced (after the previous interactive effects like Fozzie's squirting flower) that the remote control banana creme pie was about to be dumped all over us.

(Who can blame her? The day before, at the Magic Kingdom, we happened to pick the very two seats that the animatronic Stitch expectorates on!)

What I wish is that 'Here Come the Muppets' had still been running for my kids to see. Sigh... someone start a campaign to bring back a show like that, but with better puppet/costume technology. The human-sized walkaround Muppet costumes from back then were a novel 'ice capades' approach, a quick way to get Muppet content into the Parks while MV3D was being completed, but ultimately I think that approach failed because it robbed the characters of their inherent puppet magic.

Ironically, the show that replaced it, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, uses actual hand-puppets for several of the animated characters, with their performers dressed entirely in black and hidden from view. (I was videotaping it last August and switched my camcorder to infrared out of curiosity... but as soon as I saw a few seconds of the ghostly green outlines of the puppeteers capering and contorting, I flicked the switch again to make them once more invisible. I guess you truly can destroy the magic sometimes.)

That variation on the classic bunraku approach could work amazingly well with the existing soundtrack of HCTM. Build the 'stage floor' at knee-height of the black-clad puppeteers, with any of several possible techniques for making the puppets' legs walk, and real Muppets could walk and talk and do the show, seen head-to-toe.

Don't get me wrong, remoted controlled puppets like Bunsen and Beaker, from the Mobile Muppet Labs, are great and I think it's wonderful that Disney tried a new technology out with those characters. But I just think the Parks ought to embrace what makes the Muppets unique... the magic of a performer's hand inside, bringing a scrap of felt to life.

Another 3-D movie? Snore. Seeing a real-live Muppet Show? Who wouldn't want to see that!

Alex

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even if that is possible (remember, it took probably 20 years for them to decide to look back into The Little Mermaid's Underwater Adventure... it was discussed on one of the DVD's.) filming the movie wouldn't likely happen for months yet. This is ONLY a concept. Concepts get nixed all the time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, either a restaurant or some other little attraction. I can't say that a new movie would be terrible, but I think it would just be a bigger tribute to Jim if they left it as it is. it is one of the last things he did.

TSSD

Reaction score
It was posted on a reliable theme park website a while ago that this was just talk and will probably not happen. It didn't even get past the "Hey, wouldn't it would be cool to make a Muppet Vision 2?" Stage

beaker

Reaction score
While I'd love to see what they could come up with with today's post Avatar 3d systems; I agree that the experience is too classic to replace and stands as a testament to JH's last project. People don't seem to be *not* flocking to it. Anytime I went to it at DCA, it was packed.

I still want to see Sesame Street 4d, by the way:smile:

I agree about it being time to expand the Muppet areas. Create a restaurant or even a little eatery/order stand(like Swedish Chef's pizza corner) Create at least some kiddy rides. Something. We were so close to having more than just MV3D and the gift shop.

One ride I AM glad they're retooling with a whole new entrance and film is Star Tours. Can't wait to experience that next year.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone. It would be a bigger tribute to Jim if they left it alone.

One ride I AM glad they're retooling with a whole new entrance and film is Star Tours. Can't wait to experience that next year.
They are? ! Dang! I might be going to Disneyland this spring break. Too bad it wont be revamped by then.