Muppet Morsels

auntie0722

Reaction score
I recently got The Muppets show seasons 1&2 for my husband and we love to watch an episode with our son in the evenings before but but I have to say that I am dissapointed that there are no Muppet Morsels in the extras on season 2. Am I not looking in the right place for them? If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it. I am also wondering if the Morsels will be included in the extras for season 3?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Morsels were discontinued after the first set due to a change up of the producers (or something) of the DVD. Which was also one of the reasons why TMS S2 was delayed a year.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's also a budget concern. Morsels or episode cuts? I think Disney should release a companion book kind of like Henson is making with Fraggle Rock. Much of the morsel interruptions had little to do with what was on screen at that particular time anyway and some were irrelevant to the show. Also, once season five comes out hope they can find a way to re-release season one without cuts and this might mean morsel-free.

The popularity of the morsels blows my mind. Personally I didn’t care for them. They obstructed much of the image, came at inopportune times and didn’t really say much I didn’t already know. But they are missed by many. If it can no longer be done with the Muppet Show, Disney should consider including that feature with more modern projects in which music rights and other expenses aren’t as much of a concern.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, I kinda understand why they got rid of them, probably most viewers didn't turn them on all the time. And they were probably very ambitious to put together. But I really enjoyed them and it's a shame they're gone. Oh well, at least the sets are still coming out. :smile:

But I agree, if they aren't going to do them anymore, then they could do some kind of companion.

Telly

Reaction score
I watched the season first without them and then about a year later I watched the first season again with them on. They were kinda cool.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The popularity of the morsels blows my mind. Personally I didn’t care for them. They obstructed much of the image, came at inopportune times and didn’t really say much I didn’t already know. But they are missed by many. If it can no longer be done with the Muppet Show, Disney should consider including that feature with more modern projects in which music rights and other expenses aren’t as much of a concern.
Lets not forget the random plugs for Disney movies every so often. Didn't one pop up when Fozzie mentioned Pochahantus?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know they said a lot of things major fans already knew (though a lot still surprised me which was great), but after all major fans weren't the only ones buying them. :wink:

And you know, once you've seen the episode once, you want to be able to go back and find something new. At least, that's what I've always gotten out of commentaries and things like that.

David French

Reaction score
It's also a budget concern. Morsels or episode cuts? I think Disney should release a companion book kind of like Henson is making with Fraggle Rock. Much of the morsel interruptions had little to do with what was on screen at that particular time anyway and some were irrelevant to the show. Also, once season five comes out hope they can find a way to re-release season one without cuts and this might mean morsel-free.

The episode cuts had nothing to do with budgetting issues and certainly had no connection with the Morsels either - I'm uncertain as to where you got that idea from.

As for them being irrelevant and not being on topic, that's also wrong as they pointed out the origins of the various jokes that were used throughout the series.

One of the problems they did have, however, was the fact that they didn't go into great details about deleted scenes, early versions of scripts etc. My understanding is that unlike other archives (both print and visual) such things may no longer be in existence.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The episode cuts had nothing to do with budgetting issues and certainly had no connection with the Morsels either - I'm uncertain as to where you got that idea from.

As for them being irrelevant and not being on topic, that's also wrong as they pointed out the origins of the various jokes that were used throughout the series.

One of the problems they did have, however, was the fact that they didn't go into great details about deleted scenes, early versions of scripts etc. My understanding is that unlike other archives (both print and visual) such things may no longer be in existence.
I believe there is, however indirect, a connection between the two. I was not merely talking about season one's cuts. Secturing the music rights for the entire season of two and three (in whatever deal was made) could have easily shot the funds for other features. I have already pretty much agreed to disagree on that issue so there's no need to belabor the point. Only Disney and those directly involved know exactly where the budget is allocated and what rights are difficult or impossible to secure as is common with many companies. :wink:

Many of the facts listed are general trivia. I've watched them. They are not all on Muppet, star or performer related topic. Nonetheless your reply neglected to comment on the concept of a companion book to go with the series (like Fraggle Rock is doing). There hasn't been a Muppet Show book in print in quite a while for obvious reasons. I think this would be a great opportunity. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess it's too late to start wanting to see a booklet inclosed with each volume. I really think something similar to the Sesame Unpaved releases would have been more enjoyable than "Morsels" anyway.