Muppet Babies

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I loved the animation on Pup Named Scooby Doo. Alltogether a much better show than Muppet Babies in my opinion, but I still don't look at it as a very good one. The "rubbery" quality of Pup what a throwback to classic Tex Avery style animation (from the Looney Tunes) and I felt it was fresh and different than the other shows out around the same time. That kind of animation was brought back into style by Roger Rabbit and was utilized by the show. If they could only have attached it to a better project.

The quality of animation was really top-notch compared to the other Saturday morning cartoon shows of the time (and the original Doo itself). Muppet Babies, on the other hand, suffered from the worst quality of animation. There was little consistency to the characters' looks and it was 6 frames per second at the very most. Eeeek! I do see how a very young kid who was raised on the show could feel a sentimental attachment to it and it was one of the few shows with original songs, so I guess it had that going for it. It was just clearly a low budget show for toddlers and never rose above that status.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You got a point there, froggy! I just didn't like this one thing about the Pup Scooby show. It was very odd. The villains were, like cheese monsters, and giant hot dogs. the animation, i don't have a problem with (This kind of bouncy, jumpy stuff is my favorite) but it's weird, 'cause the original Scooby had slow moving animation. I can't get that outta my head!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Pup was very much a departure from the original Doo and I kind of liked that. The original has a late 60s/early 70s style, Pup has a late 50s early 60s tone which makes sense because they were younger in pup, but there were many modern influences that didn't make sense. I wish they'd at least bring back the Avery-style animation. It's what makes cartoon shorts zip! I always say that with companies that produce crummy 6-frame animation - that they might as well glue the characters on popsicle sticks and move them around. BTW - did anyone see that episode of Spongebob when they had a "live action" part in which they did that very thing! I cracked up and many friends called me saying that they must have taken my suggestion. LOL! Spongebob rocks!

Drtooth

Reaction score
A fellow Sponger, eh? I'd never suspect to find another fan of Spongebob in a Muppet site. But since we all like the Muppets, we all have impecable tastes! Dyahhh hah hah hah hah!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but getting back to the subject at hand, I'd rather have my (proverbial) Kid(s) watch Muppet Babies, rather than that annoying Purple Dinosaur, or those Power Mighty Ranger whatevers!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'd agree, but if I had kids (and I would never have any because I can't even keep plants) I wouldn't want them watching any of that. They's be raised on quality animation and programming. I'd probably throw in a tape of Fraggle Rock, The Muppet Show or classic Warner Brothers cartoons.

matleo

Reaction score
that may be what you'd liek to fo Jamie but in this day and age, it's a lot hrder to prtect kids form what the watch. Unless of course you minimalize how much tv they watch as well which woud be what you'd haveto do. My sister does a great job with my niece she only lets Grace (said niece) watch two hours of TV a day (that includes videos). Of course, Grace is only two but still tubetime is limited and monitered and not really used as a babysitter. My sister may do some work (she works from home) while grace watches between the Lions or whatever but they still end up watchign it together.

As for my thouhts on the younger two-dimensional Muppets....Hate 'em! I agree with whoever said they did a lot of damage to the franchise , a lot of damage!!! turned Gonzo into simply 'a weirdo' and nothing more. turned Fozzie back into a bad comic and nothing more. I mean they mde the charters two dimensional in more tways than one. oK it's cartoon show aimed at 6 year olds so it doesn't need to be complex but you're taking one of the most complex families of characters and trning them into cardboard cut-outs. Did the same thing when they did Fraggle rock. it's whay Fraggles didn't do as well was because people had a REAL referce to go on and knoew Fraggles cold be better. Just plain terrble. Liked a loty of the muppet Baby music though! And actually the addition of Bean was good. he somehow worked well on that show. Bean Bunny: Muppet baby or Cosby kid? You decide.
--Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think you got my post all wrong. In the very unlikely event that I ever have children I wouldn’t dictate what they watch 24/7. That is impossible and was never expressed in my post. That idea belongs entirely to someone else, believe me. :wink:

I would, however, expose and guide them to these alternatives. Once a kid goes off to school they are bound to pick up Barney and Power Rangers propaganda. It is inevitable. If done right, one can guide a child to appreciate quality over hype. I certainly didn't mean there would be some fascist regiment of only Fraggles and Looney Tunes. I just bet that if I were to have a kid, they'd likely favor the Muppet gang because they would be a familiar presence.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, actually, I don't think I want my kid(s) watching TV, anyway. Get some fresh air (or what counts as it these days) instead! But if I had a gun to my head and had a choise between the three I mentioned, Muppet Babies all the way. That's a pretty rediculous senerio, granted. But that's the only way I can come out.