Mother and Daughter at the Zoo

SkyeFan

Reaction score
Here is a very rare, and quite possibly forgotten, Muppet sketch that very likely dates back to the show's second season (1970-71). Would anyone happen to remember this one?

It involved a mother and a daughter walking through a zoo. I believe the mother was acting like the daughter and vice-versa. The mother was pretending to be scared by either a lion or a tiger and the daughter probably consoling her fear, for instance (We see an actual film footage of the real animal in its cage). Then the mother, still pretending to be the daughter, wants a balloon (A subjective view simulating walking towards a live human balloon vendor is seen). The balloon flies away into the sky, and the mother is pretending to cry. So, the daughter, playing the mother, gets her another balloon, courtesy of a human hand coming from off-camera. I believe this segment just ends with the mother and daughter back to being themselves again before leaving the zoo. It seemed like one of those typical sweet and gentle skits, with a slight touch of humor, that would be shown just to add some lighthearted moment within the show. I'm guessing this particular segment was discontinued from any further airings past the fifth, or maybe even the sixth or seventh season, but I'm just guessing.

For those who are wondering, the daughter was a lavender Anything Muppet with short, curly, dark brown hair, and I believe was wearing a light yellow party dress. The mother was a "live-hands" lavender Anything Muppet with hair like her daughter's, and was wearing a blueish top, possibly a sweater. I'm guessing that Fran was voicing the daughter, and Carroll was voicing the mother. As I stated before, this segment was most likely not shown that much after a while, which makes you think that are very likely MANY segments from Sesame Street that have only been shown a minimum number of times, and how surprising it would be to someday learn that certain segments HAVE actually existed that we have never even seen!

Last edited: