Mona Lisa

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Believe it or not,the very first time I saw the Mona Lisa was on Sesame Street.This world famous portrait appeared in a cartoon segment,where a cartoon painter[maybe Leonardo Da Vinci in cartoon form]says'P,Painting'.The Mona Lisa herself is suddenly brought to life,when she snatches the painter,s paints and paint brush,and paints a framed picture around him,so that he,s in a picture just like she is.She then swipes his torso and walks out of her picture frame,leaving him stuck in his frame.I vaguely remember seeing Mona Lisa in one or two other Sesame Street segments as well.My aunt Enza in Sicily has a copy of the Mona Lisa as well.I also now have my own copy of the portrait in large poster form.It seems Mona Lisa has been the subject of all kinds of comic jokes before and since.Somehow this portrait made quite an impression on people,s minds. :wink:

salemfan

Reaction score
I think I saw Mona Lisa when I was little

I remember seeing a clip when I was little about Luis and Maria dancing(I think they were in wedding clothes)and they were singing about "Explore". I think the Mona Lisa was in the backdrop, because I also remember a granite ball. There were many objects which I was reminded of in the Looney Tunes cartoon, "Louvre Come Back To Me!" with Pepe Le Pew. The Mona Lisa appears in the finale of this cartoon as well.

Press Space!

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Yes!I,ve seen that cartoon as well.Mona Lisa even talked in that one.She spoke in a Mae West type voice.Her words were'I can tell you chaps one thing,it,s not always easy for me to hold this smile'. :wink:

Splurge

Reaction score
You know, I even remember an episode where Snuffy is drawing on a pad while looking at the Mona Lisa. Bob or Luis comes by and tells us it is the Mona Lisa, and that smile is very mysterious.... no one knows why she's smiling. Soon, we see Snuffy's drawing of Mona Lisa with a large snuffle who's smiling because she's surrounded by cabbages and spaghetti.

Snuffy then ponders, "I wonder whether the Mona Lisa was thinking of cabbages and spaghetti." The camera zooms slowly in on the original Mona Lisa's face and stays there for a bit. The last few moments of this shot are in complete silence while the viewer looks at her smile. A very well done sketch. It should be shown in art classes.

If I'm wrong on the details of that sketch, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Splurge

Reaction score
Oh, yes. Mona Lisa made a cameo appearance in Jim Henson's "Time Piece".

salemfan

Reaction score
What season was this episode?

What season do you think that episode is from?

salemfan

Reaction score
Another clip with Mona Lisa

I read in the book, "Sesame Street Unpaved" about a clip entitled, "Still Life With Oscar" and in a picture of the clip, the Mona Lisa is in the backdrop.

gbrobeck

Reaction score
teenintosesame said:
I remember seeing a clip when I was little about Luis and Maria dancing(I think they were in wedding clothes)and they were singing about "Explore". I think the Mona Lisa was in the backdrop, because I also remember a granite ball. There were many objects which I was reminded of in the Looney Tunes cartoon, "Louvre Come Back To Me!" with Pepe Le Pew. The Mona Lisa appears in the finale of this cartoon as well.

Press Space!

The sketch you are thinking of is "Sing Your Synonyms" in which they are dancing in the museum and arguing about what words to use to describe the works of art.

Greg

salemfan

Reaction score
In Sing Your Synonyms, are Luis and Maria supposedly in the Louvre, or is it a different museum?

salemfan

Reaction score
Gbrobeck, what are the lyrics to the song, "Sing Your Synonyms"? By the way, am I right about the Mona Lisa being in this sketch?