Michael Row the Boat Ashore

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't think so. However, it does appear in one of the lyric text blocks in the Muppet Magazine version/article of the Muppets camping with John Denver. I know of that cause I remember it there from when I had better sight from my Best of Muppets Magazine hardcover book.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great memory there Count!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Phillip. However, more of my memory regarding the treatment of this song has kicked in just now. See, they weren't the actual songs but rather spoofs of the songs themselves. There was a box of scrolled parchment with the lyrics to "Thank God I'm a Country Dog" as sung by Rowlf and instead of "Michael Row the Boat A-shore", the song's title was "Michael, Like Row the Boat Fer Sure".
Hope this helps. BTW: That was a great book, still have it in my library, a great many articles from the Muppet Magazine era.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I was wrong in my previous post. The spoof title for Michael Row the Boat A-shore was actually "Like Well, Row the Boat Fer Sure" as sung by Janice. The images around the scrolls of parchment with the lyrics were rully groovy, the Muppets around John Denver in the country surrounding. And there are a great many other stories in the Best of Muppets Magazine book.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i don't get it. what do they mean Like Michael Row the Boat Fer Sure? what's the punchline to that?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The punchline is... that Janice's singing the song. And cause Janice's the one who's singing the song, they changed some of the words to reflect her characteristic speech traits. Instead of the name Michael, cause in syllables it sounds like "mike" "ell", they changed it to "Like Well". And they changed "a" "shore" to "Fer sure".

So the song's title in the Muppet scheme of things was changed to "Like well, row the boat fer sure."
Hope this helps and have a good night.