Mary Had A Little Amp

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Mary Had A Little Amp
Rock CD to benefit preschool education.

August 23, 2004 - The likes of Madonna, the Dixie Chicks, R.E.M., Maroon 5, Dave Matthews, and Bonnie Raitt, just to name a few, have joined forces on Mary Had A Little Amp, a special collection of children oriented songs that will be released on October 5th by Epic Records.

All proceeds from the project will benefit People For the American Way's Project Kid Smart and People For the American Way Foundation's Start Smart America. Both of these projects work to ensure preschool education for all American children.

The album will feature brand new takes on children's classics like a rare version of Graham Nash singing "Teach Your Children," the Dixie Chicks' new rendition of "Rainbow Connection," as well as original songs by Moby and Rosanne Cash, and contributions from Jack Johnson, and Maroon 5. There will also be unique collaborations between Ann and Nancy Wilson with Brian Wilson's Band, Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson, as well as Dave Matthews and Blue Man Group,

"This CD is the result of the efforts of many artists and activists. We asked the Dixie Chicks to help us make preschool education a national priority and they stepped up to the plate. The Dixie Chicks' involvement in this project was enormously important to our outreach to other artists," says Project Kid Smart Director Julie Burton, explaining the origin of this unique CD compilation.

"Maybe the most miraculous thing about being a mother is seeing the incredible capacity a young child has to learn. Imagine if all children in our country had the chance to go to a good school early on and soak up the kind of skills and knowledge that a quality preschool education provides? We were thrilled to help with this exciting project," say the Dixie Chicks.

Fellow project participant Rosanne Cash had this to say about her involvement, "I've always heard it said that if you have to make a choice between sending your child to college or sending them to preschool, to choose preschool. Love of learning, once sparked, never goes away. A preschool that instills a love of learning is our greatest hope for the future, for civilization, for peace."

Mary Had A Little Amp Track Listing:

Blue Man Group Featuring Dave Matthews - "Sing Along"
Bonnie Raitt - "Baby Mine"
Dixie Chicks - "Rainbow Connection"
Graham Nash - A rare version of "Teach Your Children"
Indigo Girls - "Wild Wild Party In The Loquat Tree"
Jack Johnson - "3 Rs Song"
Joe Henry - "When You Wish Upon A Star"
Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson - "Gentle Breeze"
Madonna - "Little Star"
Maroon 5 - "Pure Imagination"
Moby - "Anchovie"
Nancy and Ann Wilson with Brian Wilson's Band - "Lifeline"
R.E.M. - "We Walk"
Rosanne Cash - "How To Be Strong"

http://music.ign.com/articles/541/541468p1.html?fromint=1

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Yes! That looks awesome! I especially can't wait for Maroon 5 doing "Pure Imagination :excited: One of my all-time favs!

But why, of all the bands out there, do the Dixie Chicks have to sing Kermit's song? :frown: :grouchy:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
They were opposite him on Family Feud a few years ago. That's probably why they chose to do that 'un. Also, they might be huge fans of his.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Bonnie Raitt doing Baby Mine from DUMBO? unbelievable! I am also a big Heart fan, so I know that "Lifeline" will be great. I also want to hear the Dixie Chicks singing "Rainbow Connection" as I like the Dixie Chicks! They're Democrats like me so all is right in my world. Besides, what Republican in their right mind would perform that number? It's a number for all races, religions, etc, but I have no sympathy for Republicans like Ben Stein!

Democrat BJ

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
erniebert1234ss said:
Bonnie Raitt doing Baby Mine from DUMBO? unbelievable! I am also a big Heart fan, so I know that "Lifeline" will be great. I also want to hear the Dixie Chicks singing "Rainbow Connection" as I like the Dixie Chicks! They're Democrats like me so all is right in my world. Besides, what Republican in their right mind would perform that number? It's a number for all races, religions, etc, but I have no sympathy for Republicans like Ben Stein!

Democrat BJ

First of all, that is precisely the reason I didn't like the idea of Dixie Chicks performing the song because they are so hateful of the Commander in Chief. Yes it's a number for everyone, so WHY ARE YOU EXCLUDING REPUBLICANS? That is sheer hypocricy.

Secondly, your comments are really offensive for not even being provoked. Let's not make this thread into another mud-slinger. :cool:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree. Keep the politics in a thread about politics, and keep this one for a cool record.

Another thing, it's probably the album's producers that assigned songs to the performers--not that they picked the songs themselves. Reckon?