Longest non-street scene segment used in Classic Sesame Street?

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I remember viewing many segments that clocked in at just over two minutes, but there have been few that ran longer durations. I know "The Mystery of the Four Dragons" ran for more than four minutes. Many animated segments are relatively short, and same for film segments unless they involve a song.

But I do recall seeing one non-street scene segment that ran for more than seven minutes - that was the "Family Food" sketch with Richard Dawson. My question is, was that the longest non-street scene segment ever aired, or have there been other non-street scene segments that ran for a longer duration than "Family Food"?

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That bit with Herbie Hancock is like 8 minutes+, I think.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can’t remember if The Magic Apple is seven or eight minutes long.

min the audio commentary for episode 1316, Sonia Manzano refers to Kermit News: The Elves and the Shoemaker as “a long segment by today’s standards”, but it’s really not that long (couldn’t be more than four minutes), and really, today’s segments are a lot longer.

the original cut of the original Imagination, with monsters appearing and scaring Ernie, was ten minutes long.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
min the audio commentary for episode 1316, Sonia Manzano refers to Kermit News: The Elves and the Shoemaker as “a long segment by today’s standards”, but it’s really not that long (couldn’t be more than four minutes), and really, today’s segments are a lot longer.
Yeah, but it's like three minutes where not very much happens. Compare to the Foodie Truck bits; they may be five minutes, but they don't let a second go by without something happening.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, but it's like three minutes where not very much happens. Compare to the Foodie Truck bits; they may be five minutes, but they don't let a second go by without something happening.
I should watch that one again, I've never really noticed three minutes of not much happening. Or any moments where hardly anything happens.

SesameMike

Reaction score
The original version of "Hey cow" was over 7 minutes. Later airings edited it to about 3, including a part where cut from a fade-dissolve midstream!

gravy

Reaction score
The original version of "Hey cow" was over 7 minutes. Later airings edited it to about 3, including a part where cut from a fade-dissolve midstream!
I remember at some point on ebay last year there was a 16mm copy of that insert sold that was supposedly, if I remember correctly, 9 minutes long!