Little Jerry and the Monotones voices

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Some time ago, I have seen one user mention a few times that he doubted the names of Chrissy and Rockin' Richard (and maybe Big Jeffy) were not meant to be canon since they were first mentioned in an audio-only song. But after thinking more about it, I have thought about how the voices were sometimes inconsistent. It seems like it's accepted that Christopher Cerf and Richard Hunt were regular voices, is that because members were named after them (at least for the song "Four"?). Because after they gained names and seemed to have performers tied to them, it was still somewhat common for certain members to have different voices.

Obviously, Little Jerry was consistently Jerry Nelson (with the main exception of the "WALK" sketch with Grover), and Jeff Moss voiced Big Jeffy in most of them, having him used as more of a character in the late-1980s/early-1990s (even as the rest of the band was barely being used anymore).

But anyway, what it has led to me wondering is, how many Little Jerry and the Monotones songs have featured the voices of Christopher Cerf, Richard Hunt, and Jeff Moss as the back-up singers? I know they were all in "Four", but I can't think of any other time when all three were definitely in the song (even if they were lip synched to the wrong character).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
That was me (you probably saw that comment on an upload of “Mountain of Love”).

The only songs that had all four performers were “Sad,” “Four” and (I think) “Body Rythyms” (ignoring the fact that Cerf only did the voice for the customer and Moss was absent until season 14; I still think he did a voice over for Jeffy though cause I definitely hear Moss when he says “Sometimes I wheeze!”).

I mean, the truth is, “Proud,” the two season 6 songs and “With Every Best of My Heart” could have had all the performers; the issue was, Richard Hunt was only just a background performer in season 4 and didn’t become more consistent with puppetry performances until the following season (frankly I thought it was kind of stupid that they had Jerry do double duty in that song, especially given that you can tell Hunt was puppeteering the lavender AM often thought to be Chrissy, but whatev’s). Moss was gone by the time season 6 came about, which is why “Danger” and “Telephone Rock” had Jerry Nelson voicing Big Jeffy (regardless, Hunt and Cerf can be heard in both songs). I think the only reason Thad Mumford was heard in “With Every Beat of My Heart” was because Moss wanted to give Thad a chance to perform in one of his songs. Don’t quote me on that, though.

Lately though I have often wondered if maybe the lavender puppet was intended to be Richard, given that they had the puppet lip sync to his voice (twice), even after “Four” came out with the second song.