Lethal Compromise (Short Fanfic)

GizmoAkimbo

Reaction score
Synopsis
Gonzo is forced to rethink his way of life if he wishes to soothe the fears of his lady.

—-------------------------------------------​
He didn’t have to do this, those were her words—or rather clucks. He didn’t have to shoot himself out of that cannon, he didn’t have to risk drowning in an inescapable tank, he didn’t have to prove that he was capable of being alive. Gonzo knew that well enough, but his soul didn’t . He couldn’t stand the idea of living in the mundane, something from the inner beings of him screamed at the question of it. He needed that burning rush of utter fear, but also longed for those few seconds before finally facing failure in its face, only to spit in it with a snide smile. Gonzo knew every single stunt he pulled could lead to his utter demise, yet something about that idea never clung into his mind.

No, it was the idea that he could cheat death and make a clean getaway. The fact that this mindset alone wasn’t guarantee he actually would make it out alive, his stubborn nature to prove himself wrong. He’d give up anything to see that fruition, to give him that second of competence he craved.

Gonzo couldn’t do it, not with the way Camilla had been burying her eyes into his brain. Despite his innate drive for the dangerous life, her face screamed at him to stop. To stop, and to think for even a second. Was this really something he felt he had to do?

“Aw, Camilla. I’ll be fine, like I’ve always been. You know that, don’t you?” He slid his hand over one of her wings, that had currently been tightly clasped to her body. Her eyes never left his, slowly becoming infested with an overbearing moisture of tears that threaten to fall, much like Gonzo’s own heart. “Bgwack..”

He didn’t have to risk everything, he didn’t have to prove a worth he deemed worthless. He didn’t have to, because he mattered to her. She’d follow him to the ends of the earth, but never beyond the grave. The idea of Gonzo taking himself too far threatened the hen with persistent nightmares.

He could already hear Kermit announcing his grand gesture, he could feel both the audience’s reluctance at staying for the rest of the show and the mild interest in Gonzo’s crazy scheme, he watched as Camilla became strangled in Gonzo’s own destruction. He had to make a choice.

He held her face with a timid hand, bopping his nose against her somber beak. He spoke a smile of warmth, as he laced his gaze with a pride succor. “I promise I’ll never leave you; I’ll never go as far as to hurt you.”

Camilla knew Gonzo well enough to trust his every word.